Re-plastering?

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
kfk5927
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re-plastering?

Postby kfk5927 » Sat 26 Jul, 2008 08:28

My wife and I are looking to buy a new house. Many of the homes we're considering have pools. The other day some co-workers told my wife about pools needing to be re-plastered frequently and that it was rather expensive. I've looked around the forum and I haven't seen this topic addressed. Is this truly a concern or are the co-workers off-base?

Re: Re-plastering?

Postby Guest » Sun 27 Jul, 2008 16:22

They are off base. How long a plaster surface lasts depends on how well the pool is maintained chemically.

I have a plaster pool that is about 40 years old. Never needed replastering. I acid washed it once and it is still in good shape.

kfk5927 wrote:My wife and I are looking to buy a new house. Many of the homes we're considering have pools. The other day some co-workers told my wife about pools needing to be re-plastered frequently and that it was rather expensive. I've looked around the forum and I haven't seen this topic addressed. Is this truly a concern or are the co-workers off-base?
Sue

Re-plastering?

Postby Sue » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 09:45

I brush my plaster pool regularly and have the water tested professionally every week or two. I have it closed/opened professionally. Still, my plaster surface is stained and rough. Winters are when the worst problems occur. People who can leave their pools open year round may have it easier. I have been given two quotes in the range of $10,000 for a replaster. Beware.
Denali
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re-plastering?

Postby Denali » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 11:38

Sue wrote:I brush my plaster pool regularly and have the water tested professionally every week or two. I have it closed/opened professionally. Still, my plaster surface is stained and rough. Winters are when the worst problems occur. People who can leave their pools open year round may have it easier. I have been given two quotes in the range of $10,000 for a replaster. Beware.

Hi Sue,

Staining is usually caused by chemical imbalances. Low pH is the normal culprit. Roughness is often a calcium buildup from the water hardness getting too high. Neither one of those require a replaster. The staining can be removed (most of the time) and the roughness can be taken care of as well.

Swimming pools cost money to maintain, no doubt about that. Plaster pools have a long life before needing replastering if the water is properly maintained from day one.
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Re-plastering?

Postby mr_clean » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 14:07

I agree with Denali sounds like plaster has not been chemically balanced that well.

depending on type of stain the pool has there are different methods you can take to get rid of them.

when pools get copper or iron stains that look bad you can acidwash your pool & not replaster.

as for $10,000 to replaster a pool to me sounds a little crazy if thats all thats being done & it's a normal size pool.

Pool builders normally charge by a linear ft. which means if you measure around your pool & say come up with 80ft you would just times that by whatever company tells you their price is. I have see it as low as $32 a linear ft so it could be $2,560.00

know it's different prices for different types of plaster's.
basic white
3M plaster with Quartz
pebble tech

like said before pools cost money to maintain just like your car. So the most important thing is if your willing to spend money on your pool to prevent future problems then it will last longer.

preventive maintanance is the key.

When talking to friends about their pool replastering job you should ask if thats all that was done to their pool as they could be including different things like tile, decko-seal, coping, diving board, equipment, which do cost extra.

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”