Rust Marks

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
sonja

Rust Marks

Postby sonja » Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:25

We have small rust mark stains on our pool steps and in the shallow end of the pool. We used steel wool to take off some other marks (very silly) and now have a much bigger problem. We have tried several chemicals from our local pool shop, but nothing has worked. I read about water filled acid wash. How can I do this? The pool takes 30 000l and the ph is 7.1.

I just need the dosage of the acid, over what period etc.

I would appreciate any help

muss08
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Rust Marks

Postby muss08 » Wed 21 Jan, 2009 08:10

Giving your pool an "acid bath" is VERY tricky and very hard to get right. You can easily end up ruining the surface of your pool and/or equipment. If the stain is at the top of your stairs then drain some the pool and apply acid (start with a 10:1 water to acid mixture) to the stain- let sit for a couple minutes then rinse. If you insist on an acid bath have a pool professional do it.
APSP Certified Service Pro
Jandy Tech School
Pentair Tech Training
Raypak Heater School
5 yrs experience
geeman
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Rust Marks

Postby geeman » Sun 25 Jan, 2009 18:38

try sanding the area with a 3m diapad.
lonestar
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Rust Marks

Postby lonestar » Thu 29 Jan, 2009 11:31

Have you tried ascorbic acid? Put it down a pipe to get full strength right on the stain.
Acid washing can be bad bad news. Get a professional. Ive only seen it done while the pool is empty. Ive also seen a black plaster pool that a homeowner acid washed and it now feels rough like some crystal formation. His plaster is completely ruined.

Your PH is already too low (especially considering the temperature outside) and you are likely robbing your walls of their calcium, in effect acid washing it already.

If you are going to do it youself, drain the pool and only do those small areas. Try ascorbic acid first.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Rust Marks

Postby Larry » Sat 07 Mar, 2009 02:40

We have had varying degrees of success with oxalic acid. We put it in a sock and apply directly to the rust stains.

Oxalic acid is a mild acid but has a special affinity for iron oxides.

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”