Old brick & mortar pond with plaster coating, need help

Tile, mosaic, marbelite, Marcite, Marblesheen,
fiberglass, plaster, shotcrete, paint, epoxy coatings.
Use, care and repair of the various surfaces.
kjac3585
I'm new here
I'm new here

Old brick & mortar pond with plaster coating, need help

Postby kjac3585 » Sun 03 May, 2009 14:30

I need to resurface a 25yr old pond in my backyard. It was constructed with bricks and mortar for the shape and then coated with what I think to be plaster. The plaster has developed many cracks and bare spots over the years and it needs another coat.

How should I prep the surface before replastering? The surface is very rough. Do I need to chip off as much plaster as possible? or should I use a bonding adhesive instead?

The pond is small, about the size of a large bathtub 8x3x2. It has a 6in lip around the outside which poses a problem for the plastering. I can't do an underwater cure because the lip is not underwater. Would I need to get concrete fortifier to mix in with the plaster so I can air cure it instead?

It appears that they used some kind of metal sheeting around the lip of the pond as well. I'm guessing it was to give it a flat even surface. The problem is that the plaster has revealed some of this steel and it has now rusted somewhat. Should I remove all rust and plaster over it?

PICTURES:

you can see in the last picture where i chipped the exposed plaster off and the stuff underneath is bright white. The red color in that is just part of a brick i chipped.

ImageImageImage

Thanks!

Return to “Pool Surface Discussions”