Replace dead Motor or entire Sta-Rite Pump

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
jdpool
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: large pool

Replace dead Motor or entire Sta-Rite Pump

Postby jdpool » Tue 17 Oct, 2017 19:18

Hi,

First of all thanks for any and all input. I currently have a Sta-Rite Max-Pro P6RA6G-207L 2HP Pump and the motor has died. The current motor is a B855 originally owned by A.O. Smith and now the motors are being built by Century Electric. The motor has died and I need to replace it but I am wondering if I would be better off replacing the entire pump versus just the motor. The new motor + O ring kit is around $260 if I want it shipped fast. My pool is only about 10,000 gallons and has an old Sta-Rite 2 filter system which runs at 19-21 PSI as long as I don't have the solar heater turned on. I have a booster pump for the cleaner. I also have a solar heater system that sits on my roof which is very high (26ft from ground), so the pump has to move water quite far which is why I assume they put in a 2HP motor. Lastly, I live in Texas and the motor gets quite beat up by the sun/heat.

I don't know what considerations I should explore when determining the right time to upgrade a pool system.I am by no means an expert but I do I like to learn and repair things myself. Again, any input or advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Replace dead Motor or entire Sta-Rite Pump

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 02:44

A 2hp motor seems quiet big for your system albiet you do have a lot of head to overcome with your solar system
Variable speed pumps are encouraged and some power companies offer a rebate on the cost when one is installed
I suggest you try posting on this Forum for a more positive response as a lot of them have changed motors and or pumps for variable speed pumps
jdpool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jdpool » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 11:17

Thank you for the input. I will post there as well.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 18 Oct, 2017 16:50

jdpool, what does the pressure gauge read when the solar is on? What size is the plumbing?
I'm afraid I don't know a Sta-rite filter 2 so any more info would be welcome but when you are not running your solar you are wasting a lot of electricity at 19psi.
jdpool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jdpool » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 07:15

Pressure with solar on is around 25-28 PSI and the plumbing is 2".
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 19 Oct, 2017 09:26

OK jdpool, are there any other options on the motor front as it's clear you don't need a 2HP. Can you get a two speed motor for the existing wet end pump?
Any more info on your filter as I am not familiar with that one?
EDIT: Ok jdpool, I have found your filter, a cartridge filter so no multiport valve. That means you could go easily to a 1hp motor and still be just about OK with the heater on I would think. Haven't done the math as got to get off to work.
jdpool
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jdpool » Fri 20 Oct, 2017 14:30

How do you calculate that 1HP is enough? Do you think it would be helpful to get a 2 stage pump with the electronic timer on top and just bypass my current dial timer?
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Fri 20 Oct, 2017 18:26

Hi jdpool, I didn't calculate anything, it was just a rough stab based on your pressure gauge reading (way to much) and the height you'll need to pump. I can't see your system to even guess the loss through the solar or other plumbing. You need to look at the pump performance curve to get a better idea. If the plumbing is good you could probably get away with a .75hp pump having looked at a pump performance chart in front of me for a pretty standard pump.
When you are not using solar you'll only need a fraction of that power so you'll enjoy big savings.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”