Need advice with pool pump and filter system

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.

Postby Guest » Thu 15 Dec, 2011 23:15

Hello all, I just bought my house last summer and it has an in-ground pool that is about 11000gal. The pump is a 1hp Centurion, and the filter is a Posi-Flo, the kind in a chrome tube about 4 feet high. The pump has lost its punch as of late, and it isn't really pumping much water through the filter. The salesperson at Leslies laughed at my setup, so I feel its time to upgrade.

However, I am very new to the whole pool pump/filter thing. I understand the differences between DE, sand, and cartridge filters. I'd like to stick with a cartridge filter as that seems to be basic to me. And I don't really trust sales people because all they tell me is propaganda about new stuff that is out of my price range.

So, can the experts here attempt to educate a rookie about pumps? Not necessarily specific brands, but basic differences between 2 speed motors, switchless motors, booster pumps, filter sizes and things like that. What would be a reasonable setup to upgrade to?

And to make matters worse, my setup is probably jerry-rigged. The drain at the bottom of the pool is plugged up, and the pipe that comes from underground has been capped off near the pump. So the only way for me to circulate water is through the skimmer. I don't think I'll be able to clear that pipe without major effort.

I do appreciate any advice that you all could throw my way. Thanks, Kyle

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Tue 20 Dec, 2011 00:43

Pool User wrote:So, can the experts here attempt to educate a rookie about pumps? Not necessarily specific brands, but basic differences between 2 speed motors, switchless motors, booster pumps, filter sizes and things like that. What would be a reasonable setup to upgrade to?

Sounds like a fun pool! (sarcasm) I'll keep it very simple,

2 Speed motors
These allow you to switch between a fixed high speed and a low speed. The advantage to having a 2 speed motor in a pool is you can perform regular filtration at the low speed for more hours and save on electricity usage than you would if you used high speed for short hours. High speed has it's use, typically with solar heating systems. It packs that extra punch to push the water up to the roof of the home. If you don't have a solar heating system, that's fine, you can take advantage of the electricity savings at low speed. 2 speed pumps require a digital timer control, such as the Intermatic P1353ME, which is a common 2 speed pump controller for your basic pump and filter setup with pool cleaner booster.
switchless motors
A majority of pool motors are switchless as they require a time-clock controller(the switch) to switch them on and off. As a simple analogy, a common house box fan and hair dryer are switched motors, because you switch them on right on the unit. Same principle.
booster pumps
Booster pumps are for spa's, that make the water go crazy with bubbles and create water jet action. These are typically fixed speed high power motors. Booster pumps also control automatic pool cleaners by supplying them with a boost of water through the supply hose. Pool cleaner booster pumps require a time-clock control as well.
filter sizes
Filter sizes depend on the size of your pool. There is a complicated formula to match filter sizes with pool gallon sizes so the correct filter is matched for the pool. The concept here is, you don't want a filter too small and you don't want to filter too terrible big. Bigger is not always better in the pool filter arena, as there is a relative formula for pump horsepower that is going to push the water through the filter. You say you pool is 11,000 gallons? I've been in the industry long enough to know that for that much water, a 75 thru 150 sq. ft. cartridge filter is perfect for the job.
Choosing a pool pump depends on the size filter and whether or not you have a solar heating system or plan to install a solar heating system. Your pool, at 11,000 gallons with a 75-100 sq.ft. filter and NO solar system will only require a 3/4 horsepower pump or a 2 speed pump. Same setup WITH a solar system, that 1 horsepower pump is sufficient or a 2 speed pump that rates 1hp at high speed.
I just gave you the basics, it sounds like you have a very simple setup, nothing complicated. As for your capped off floor drain, my best guess based upon experience, is that your pool has a floor drain leak and rather than spend a substantial amount of money for the repair, it was just easy to cap it off and use the skimmer instead. Just my first initial guess. Good luck

Postby Guest » Sat 24 Dec, 2011 14:33

Excellent info there, thank you very much. Now I know what I need to look for as far as filters go.

As far as pumps are concerned, a few more questions. If I were to get just a 3/4 hp pump (because I don't have a solar heater and I don't plan on getting a automatic pool cleaner) would that be just as good/energy efficient as a 2 speed? Or is a 2 speed pump just more efficient period?

And lastly, what about variable speed pumps?
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Tue 27 Dec, 2011 19:03

A 3/4 hp pump will never be as electric cost effective as a 2 speed pump set to low speed, but will more more electric cost effective than if that same 2 speed pump was running at high speed. I hope that doesn't sound too confusing.

Variable speed pumps are excellent energy savers. They can be trimmed down to very low speeds and set to high speeds if you need that extra rapid filtration punch. At low speed, they run quiet, which is nice if you don't like a whole lot of noise. Some variable speed pumps have stand-alone timers built inside their control panels, so you don't have to buy extra digital timer equipment. You do need to inquire about the the stand alone timer, because they make two versions of variable speed pumps: Those that have built-in timers and those that need the additional timer controls computer systems.
As you search, look and compare variable speed pumps, you will find they are pricey over other pumps. But here's the beauty of it; in your first year of installing it, you will recoup the cost in electricity savings than if you installed a less expensive fixed speed pump. Then every year after that, you will save on electricity costs. Another item to consider is see if your power company has a rebate program for installing a variable speed pump. Not all power companies participate, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Good brands to look at are:
Waterway
Sta-Rite
Pentair
Hayward
Remnant

Re: Need advice with pool pump and filter system

Postby Remnant » Tue 23 May, 2017 22:47

I have a question. I work in an office that shares a wall with a pool pump room. 20 months ago I got severe burns on my face, burns down my throat and in my nose. The office has a landscape retaining wall, but the office has been leaking for years because the retaining wall was not sealed properly. It floods my office all the times, 9 times this year alone. Building inspector came out and said the leaking wall was mixing with the pool pump chemicals creating muratic acid. They told me there was not a fan on pool pump room and there also was no ventilation on my office either, thus trapping the acid inside. Another thing is when the pool is backflushed it bubbled up into my toilet then drains the water out of the toilet. I believe this pool pump was moved as in the middle of my office without a permit as the sump hole is under the flooring in my closet used to backflush the pool. Can you explain to me if this could have caused my burns?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 24 May, 2017 01:20

Remnant wrote: Building inspector came out and said the leaking wall was mixing with the pool pump chemicals creating muratic acid.

Mixing pool chemicals does not create muriatic acid. Although they can be hazardous and should never be mixed outside of the pool (put separately into the pool)
If you had muriatic acid fumes, you would have known it, they are noxious
If you suffered burns why didn't you report this to the authorities and let them investigate the source of your burns
kmiller45
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: L x W x average depth of pool x 7.5. For Oval pools, use the formula L x W x average depth of pool x 5.9.

Postby kmiller45 » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 03:13

Hello...

I am looking for Pool pumps and filter system for very long time for my swimming pool..., and thank you guys for sharing this above information about it...
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 07:10

Kmiller45, things have moved on a bit so it's worth getting up to date information if you want.
citti34
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby citti34 » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 09:27

It’s a mess. That’s the brilliant feedback I’m going to add

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sat 20 Jan, 2018 14:50

Ha ha, the pool plumbing circuit is so straight forward it is hard for me to understand how pool builders make such a doggies dinner out of it. Done decently you can save $000's over the years, and have better quality water with less hands on maintenance.

I think some pool people charge by the fitting!
joyce19
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby joyce19 » Thu 24 May, 2018 06:45

Hey Guys,

I need some help related to pool pump and pool filtration,
how should I Maintain my swimming pool pump, its name "Clearwater FS022 High Rate Pool Sand Filter 22" and also please tell me about its filtration process.??
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 24 May, 2018 07:40

joyce19 wrote:Hey Guys,

I need some help related to pool pump and pool filtration,
how should I Maintain my swimming pool pump, its name "Clearwater FS022 High Rate Pool Sand Filter 22" and also please tell me about its filtration process.??
What do you need to know as they are virtually maintenance free apart from backwashing which should be when the filter pressure is 20% above clean pressure
lucyjohn987
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I love doing swimming. My pool size is 12ft long

Postby lucyjohn987 » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 01:40

TSH Tech wrote:
Pool User wrote:So, can the experts here attempt to educate a rookie about pumps? Not necessarily specific brands, but basic differences between 2 speed motors, switchless motors, booster pumps, filter sizes and things like that. What would be a reasonable setup to upgrade to?

Sounds like a fun pool! (sarcasm) I'll keep it very simple,

2 Speed motors
These allow you to switch between a fixed high speed and a low speed. The advantage to having a 2 speed motor in a pool is you can perform regular filtration at the low speed for more hours and save on electricity usage than you would if you used high speed for short hours. High speed has it's use, typically with solar heating systems. It packs that extra punch to push the water up to the roof of the home. If you don't have a solar heating system, that's fine, you can take advantage of the electricity savings at low speed. 2 speed pumps require a digital timer control, such as the Intermatic P1353ME, which is a common 2 speed pump controller for your basic pump and filter setup with pool cleaner booster.
switchless motors
A majority of pool motors are switchless as they require a time-clock controller(the switch) to switch them on and off. As a simple analogy, a common house box fan and hair dryer are switched motors, because you switch them on right on the unit. Same principle.
booster pumps
Booster pumps are for spa's, that make the water go crazy with bubbles and create water jet action. These are typically fixed speed high power motors. Booster pumps also control automatic pool cleaners by supplying them with a boost of water through the supply hose. Pool cleaner booster pumps require a time-clock control as well.
filter sizes
Filter sizes depend on the size of your pool. There is a complicated formula to match filter sizes with pool gallon sizes so the correct filter is matched for the pool. The concept here is, you don't want a filter too small and you don't want to filter too terrible big. Bigger is not always better in the pool filter arena, as there is a relative formula for pump horsepower that is going to push the water through the filter. You say you pool is 11,000 gallons? I've been in the industry long enough to know that for that much water, a 75 thru 150 sq. ft. cartridge filter is perfect for the job.
Choosing a pool pump depends on the size filter and whether or not you have a solar heating system or plan to install a solar heating system. Your pool, at 11,000 gallons with a 75-100 sq.ft. filter and NO solar system will only require a 3/4 horsepower pump or a 2 speed pump. Same setup WITH a solar system, that 1 horsepower pump is sufficient or a 2 speed pump that rates 1hp at high speed.
I just gave you the basics, it sounds like you have a very simple setup, nothing complicated. As for your capped off floor drain, my best guess based upon experience, is that your pool has a floor drain leak and rather than spend a substantial amount of money for the repair, it was just easy to cap it off and use the skimmer instead. Just my first initial guess. Good luck

Great reply
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 11:04

Great reply,
Was it, the part about filters was wrong, a lot of the rest is out of date and based on old and wrong information
mike7878
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: my pool is so wide and i love my pool .

Postby mike7878 » Fri 28 Dec, 2018 06:42

Hello there,

First of all thanks to TSH Tech, you have done a great job. Actually, I'm also facing this type of problem with my pool pump filter system. I hope your comment would help me. If I need any help then I'll ask you in the thread section or if I'll get any useful info about pool pump filter system I'll write here.
Thankyou!

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”