Air Intake Overflow

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Flatstick
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 900 Gallon, Plunge pool with 1.5 HP Hayward pump running filter and jets

Air Intake Overflow

Postby Flatstick » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 11:13

Late last year my pool jets began putting out noticeably less pressure. Since it was the end of the year I did not attempt to address the issue. When I turned my pumps on this year the limited pressure still existed but now the air intake began overflowing. (In the past the air intake was "dry" and the venturi principle worked properly) This only occurs when the pump is running; when the pump is off the water recedes to about half way up the pvc tube.
In an effort to fix the issue I have:
-Removed the jets and inspected for blockage or damage.
-Used a shop-vac in exhaust mode and blown out air intake pipe.
-Ran pump without jets attached.
-Ran pump for long duration to blow out any blockage.

Nothing has worked. Any advice would be appreciated.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Air Intake Overflow

Postby Teapot » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 14:20

Have you checked the pump impeller for blockage as that reduction in pressure/flow seems the common denominator?
Flatstick
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 900 Gallon, Plunge pool with 1.5 HP Hayward pump running filter and jets

Postby Flatstick » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 17:54

The pump seems to be working fine since I have a simple two way valve that I open and close to run the filter and that is working great. A lot of pressure coming out of that port.
Flatstick
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Flatstick » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 18:00

Just to add to the original post............
The issue essentially is that the air intake no longer can combine air & water to the jet assembly since it is full of water. in the past it appeared that the air intake was empty and through the venturi principle it sucked air down the pipe and mixed with water to produce the jet effect into the pool. (Not sure if that helps explain it any better)

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”