Undersized pump and filter?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
drdreww
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: 34,000 Sport pool
3' to 6'
vinyl liner.
15.HP pentair 32" sand filter.
Kreepy Krawly Vac.
NW Missouri

Undersized pump and filter?

Postby drdreww » Thu 10 May, 2018 17:04

Hello, about to open the pool for the summer. Wanting to take this time to redo the pump/filter if needed. has had trouble staying clean and the pump runs 24/7. My research shows that the pump and filter are restricted by the way the plumbing was designed and would be open to any input on that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Pool specs..
Gets heavy daily use.
Direct Sunlight.
34,000 gal 3ft ends and 6ft deep middle)
vinyl liner 2 years old.
salt system rated for 70,000 gal. - supplement with liquid chlor daily as needed.
1.5hp pump - (runs 24x7)
32" sand filter
Pump system is 35 feet away indoors at the same level as the pool.
2 skimmers
1 drain
4 jets that run from 1 output.
all plumbing is 1.5"
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Added pictures of the pool and the pump plumbing. I was not here when it was installed but the company has since gone out of business.

Teapot
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Undersized pump and filter?

Postby Teapot » Fri 11 May, 2018 10:05

Thank goodness they have gone out of business, at least they can't stitch up anyone else.
Where your two skimmer pipes join, is that into one single 1 1/2" as well (picture)?

Please define heavy use, no of people?

OK, at best you could shoot for a 6 hour turnover if regulations allow. You will need another filter of the same as you have (32") a re-plumb to double the size of the pipe from the join of the skimmers to pump and from the pump to the two filters. If you are feeding all 4 returns from a single 1 1/2" pipe you may need to use the main drain as an inlet, (safer as well).

That will do for starters.
drdreww
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: 34,000 Sport pool
3' to 6'
vinyl liner.
15.HP pentair 32" sand filter.
Kreepy Krawly Vac.
NW Missouri

Postby drdreww » Sat 12 May, 2018 01:37

Teapot wrote:Thank goodness they have gone out of business, at least they can't stitch up anyone else.
Where your two skimmer pipes join, is that into one single 1 1/2" as well (picture)?

Please define heavy use, no of people?

OK, at best you could shoot for a 6 hour turnover if regulations allow. You will need another filter of the same as you have (32") a re-plumb to double the size of the pipe from the join of the skimmers to pump and from the pump to the two filters. If you are feeding all 4 returns from a single 1 1/2" pipe you may need to use the main drain as an inlet, (safer as well).

That will do for starters.

100 or more kids a day. (Yes I know it is too many.)

the skimmers and the drain all come in as 1.5" and then join into a single 1.5"

[img=640x480]https://i.imgur.com/qeJwIrR.jpg[/img]
[img=640x480]https://i.imgur.com/FAjVFGT.jpg[/img]

Sorry cant fingure out how to resize the hosted img
Teapot
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Wed 16 May, 2018 16:09

Hmm, with your current 2 skimmers and 1 1/2" plumbing there isn't a massive amount you will be able to do achieve beyond what I stated above but even that will give a massive improvement on what you have now. If it is possible I would increase to 4 skimmers, and another 4 returns on at least another two 1 1/2" pipes and another filter making 3 total.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”