Pool circulates water great for a few hours then slowly stops circulation - pump still running

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
DThela
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie
My Pool: 20x40 vinyl liner

Re: Pool circulates water great for a few hours then slowly stops circulation - pump still running

Postby DThela » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 12:52

And it happens even when I'm not vacuuming, just open skimmer

Teapot
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Pool circulates water great for a few hours then slowly stops circulation - pump still running

Postby Teapot » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 14:54

DThela wrote:Why should pump elevation matter as long as its a foot or two?

Simply because with one below the water line you are flooding the pump. Above the waterline you are drawing harder so more likely to get air leaks.
DThela
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby DThela » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 19:39

Ok got it , but thats not the difference in pressure I'm getting. It's like the skimmer line is plugged solid. But yet when I force the pump cover off the water flows back to the skimmer. The only thing I could think it acts like is a checkvalve. Skimer line open to pump if I shut the pump off it should just flow back through the skimmer. Don't mean to say it many times different ways but everybody tells me air leak and there isn't any. I appreciate the responses I really do but being an engineer I understand how the system works and should work but this makes no scientific sense LOLOL. We even went as far as "gooping' all the fittings to prove to a "pool guy" there were no leaks and he scratched his head and left! LOLO
Teapot
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 14 Jun, 2018 01:20

Hate to state it but it has to be a suction side air leak, albeit tiny. I had a customer with similar and similar response. Eventually that was a tiny crack in the pump filter lid that could only be seen at an angle under electric light in the kitchen with a magnifying glass. Because I am on my phone I can't see your pool pump/filter spec and we are only on a pc not there in person.
DThela
Pool Newbie
Pool Newbie

Postby DThela » Sat 16 Jun, 2018 13:34

It seems the 1hp pump is too small. But when you first turn on the pump it's empty and full of air and the pump sucks the air out to prime. why should a tiny air leak affect it and only after an hour of running? It primes up and runs with only a little bubble in the cover
Teapot
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Teapot » Sat 16 Jun, 2018 23:30

It should not be empty and full of air. Is there a non return valve in line somewhere before the pump? If it were completely full of air it would not prime, once primed it should stay full of water, if it loses that water when switched off it is because of an air leak. Nothing to do with the hp of the pump. I use 0.08hp on my pool.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”