Bubbles in swimming pool and suction problems

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
nieldv

Bubbles in swimming pool and suction problems

Postby nieldv » Wed 01 Feb, 2017 04:56

Hi,
I've had problems with my creepy not moving properly, pool basket not filling up all the way to the top and air bubbles being sucked in the swimming pool for over a year now, so safe to say I've tried all the "obvious" solutions on the suction side.
I asked a pool company to come have a look and they're coming on Friday, but one of his suggestions is a (pretty expensive) pressure test which would be on the return side.
In my mind, the only way that bubbles can enter the pool is if it's sucked in on the suction side? Is there any way that the return side could be the issue?

nieldv

Re: Bubbles in swimming pool and suction problems

Postby nieldv » Wed 01 Feb, 2017 06:09

If this helps -
I have a 0.75 pump, all my piping is Poly, and have recently installed solar panels on the roof, fed by pvc piping (the issue was present before panels were installed), swimming pool is quite old, water level is fine, above ground fittings seem fine, pump lid o-ring is fine. No leakage anywhere when switching off the pump. Backwashing seem to alleviate the issue slightly.
Water going back into the pool from the return line have OK velocity. Suction not great, my zodiac MX6 doesn't climb walls at all and stops regularly
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 01 Feb, 2017 12:52

You are quiet correct, air in the pump basket and bubbles out of the returns is a suction side air leak as well as the Zodiac not working properly
Is this when you are using the Zodiac or vacuuming?
Try a new pump lid "O" ring but lubricate with silicone grease
What is the water level at the skimmer? (it should be half to two thirds)
A pressure test on the return would be a waste of money as it's impossible to suck in air under pressure and you wouldn't be getting air in the pump basket
A pressure test from the skimmer / main drain to the pump would be more beneficial as if there are any leaks there it would want to suck in air
nieldv

Postby nieldv » Thu 02 Feb, 2017 07:16

Hi Dennis, thanks a lot for the reply, what you're saying makes a lot of sense and confirms what I suspected.
To answer your questions below -
The problem is more apparent when the Zodiac is running, but it doesn't totally go away when I unplug it. I suspect that the reason for this is that it needs to work harder to suck the water in, so it ends up sucking in more air.
It is a brand new pump, but I will give silicone grease a shot to see if it makes a difference.
Water level is fine, I have filled the pool to the brim to see if that helps.
Thanks
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 02 Feb, 2017 09:42

nieldv wrote:The problem is more apparent when the Zodiac is running, but it doesn't totally go away when I unplug it. I suspect that the reason for this is that it needs to work harder to suck the water in, so it ends up sucking in more air.
What you are saying is correct, the extra suction through the vacuum hose will cause it to suck in more air
Silicon grease should help but even a new pump could have a dodgy "O" ring
BTW I have had the same problem before and I still have it slightly when vacuuming but very small bubbles
nieldv

Postby nieldv » Fri 03 Feb, 2017 07:09

Thanks Dennis, tried grease on the o-ring, and it seems that it might have helped a little bit - bubbles in the pool are barely visible, pump chamber is filled almost to the top, but I still feel suction isn't great. Let's see what the pool people says - thanks for your help
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 03 Feb, 2017 17:39

That's great that you have it partially under control
Does the Zodiac work now?
If the returns are fine then you should be OK
Let us know what the outcome of the professional advice is, as it be be of use to others
nieldv

Postby nieldv » Mon 06 Feb, 2017 05:57

Hi Dennis,
It seems ok but it doesn't climb walls at all, which is not right - I know that people complain that the Zodiac climbs all the way to the surface and then sucks air, mine doesn't come close to that. Also it gets stuck too easily, with a couple of leaves getting stuck, which I fee should be sucked in. I could probably live with the pool the way it's working now, but I'm a little bit of a perfectionist when it comes to that.
The pool guys couldn't make it on Friday so they're coming this afternoon.
Will let you know what happens - thanks.
Magoo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pebble finish, 80000 litres, sand filter, salt chlorination

Postby Magoo » Fri 21 Sep, 2018 00:21

My zodiac would also spend half its time climbing walls, (causing me to do likewise in frustration), I have tried varying suction and deflector position with little success. Watching it yesterday, I thought moving the ballast further up the hose (rather than near the cleaner neck as suggested), may assist in sending it to the sides rather than up the pool wall. Eureka! Been a winner. Hasn’t been climbing too high nor languishing in the pool cleaner graveyard type corners. I have it about a metre from the cleaner body. Peace at last.
Magoo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pebble finish, 80000 litres, sand filter, salt chlorination

Postby Magoo » Fri 21 Sep, 2018 00:22

My zodiac would also spend half its time climbing walls, (causing me to do likewise in frustration), I have tried varying suction and deflector position with little success. Watching it yesterday, I thought moving the ballast further up the hose (rather than near the cleaner neck as suggested), may assist in sending it to the sides rather than up the pool wall. Eureka! Been a winner. Hasn’t been climbing too high nor languishing in the pool cleaner graveyard type corners. I have it about a metre from the cleaner body. Peace at last.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”