Chlorine dosing pump can't pump...

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Davehuge
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 85m3 outdoor pool in South of France.

Chlorine dosing pump can't pump...

Postby Davehuge » Sat 18 May, 2019 03:31

Hi all, I'm helping a friend with his 85m3 outdoor pool. We have a problem with the chlorine dosing pump.

Chlorine should be injected by a peristaltic dosing pump but it's not pumping chlorine into the system.

The small rubber pipe from the output of the peristaltic pump is connected to a check valve, the check valve is screwed into a fitting on the 50mm pipe on the return to the pool.

If I unscrew the check valve from the 50mm pipe, the chlorine pumps out no problem proving the check valve isn't jammed or the wrong way round. Once the check valve is screwed back in and the main circulation pump is running, the chlorine isn't pumped out. The peristaltic pump is running but I can see the liquid chlorine and air bubbles in the pipe moving backwards and forwards but not making any progress up the pipe.

1. I believe the pressure inside the 50mm pipe, the water returning to the pool, is too high for the peristaltic pump to overcome and open the check valve. Is this a common problem?

2. As I understand it the check valve is there to protect the peristaltic valve and shouldn't be removed, is that correct?

Just for information, the surface of the pool is at ground level, the pump/filter room is situated below ground level, about 2 metres below the surface of the pool.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Chlorine dosing pump can't pump...

Postby Teapot » Sat 18 May, 2019 05:51

Hi Dave,
What make/model is the peristaltic pump, need to see what pressure it can pump at. With 2 meters of head to overcome + system pressure normally they are easily capable of doing that. That said the dosing point is in the return pipe and is an open circuit so should be absolutely minimal.
Haha the bubbles, they just do that, wobble back and fourth.

I don't have a non return valve on mine or my customers, I rely on the duck bill injector into the pipe work to remain closed unless actually dosing, that is where I think you should start looking, the duck bills degrade with the chemicals and some times they glue themselves together.
When was the pinch tube replaced? That insignificant little tube can cause all sorts of problems except as you state when the check valve is removed.
Davehuge
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Davehuge » Sat 18 May, 2019 06:21

Hi Teapot, thanks for your reply.

The chlorine dosing unit is an Ovy Redox unit made by Melfrance, I'm having trouble finding info about it on the net.

The dosing pump unit is about one year old but has only just been switched on, so you could say it's new.

I was reading the installation manual and it states a maximum pressure of 1.5 BAR is allowed at the injection point / the output of the check valve.

I haven't seen any 'duck bills' on the system so I assume there isn't any fitted.

With the system all connected and running the air bubbles wobble backwards and forwards, when I disconnect the check valve at the injection point I can see it pumps the air bubbles straight out together with the liquid chlorine through the check valve.

Thanks, Dave.
Davehuge
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Davehuge » Sat 18 May, 2019 10:42

Here's some more info...

Chlorine Dosing 1.jpg
Chlorine Dosing Unit
Chlorine Dosing 1.jpg (73.82 KiB) Viewed 2082 times

Chlorine Dosing 2.jpg
Chlorine Injection Point

Installation Diagram.jpg
Installation Diagram showing maximum allowed pressure of 1.5 Bar
Davehuge
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Davehuge » Sat 18 May, 2019 11:32

I'm hoping to visit sometime over the next couple of days and fit a pressure gauge at the injection point, to see if the pressure there is too high...

At the moment it's the only thing I can think of that could be preventing the chlorine from been pumped in. :problem:
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sat 18 May, 2019 12:12

Hmm, 2 metres of head should only account for around 3 psi, what happens if you put your finger over the non return valve? 21 psi should make its way out.
Davehuge
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Davehuge » Sat 18 May, 2019 15:02

Just back from the pool, I was able to use the pressure gauge from the sand filter in the fitting where the chlorine should be injected...

Yes, you were spot on Teapot. :D With the system running, the pressure is only 4 psi. :clap:

I think what's happening is when there's air in the pipe, the pump compressors the air rather than opening the non return/check valve.

So I assume as the pressure is so low, it will be safe to remove the non return/check valve and run the system without it. That should solve the problem and allow the pump to inject the chlorine easily. :thumbup:

Thanks, Dave.

4 psi.jpg
4 psi at Chlorine injection point.
4 psi.jpg (62.82 KiB) Viewed 2040 times
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Tue 21 May, 2019 13:58

Hi Dave,
Sorry missed your post, yes i think you maybe right if the bubbles are large enough they will compress. Not had that before as it takes virtually no force to ope a ducks bill type of injector.
You have probably sorted it by now? please let us know how you got on.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 21 May, 2019 16:46

[quote="Davehuge"]Just back from the pool, I was able to use the pressure gauge from the sand filter in the fitting where the chlorine should be injected...

Yes, you were spot on Teapot. :D With the system running, the pressure is only 4 psi. :clap:

I think what's happening is when there's air in the pipe, the pump compressors the air rather than opening the non return/check valve.

So I assume as the pressure is so low, it will be safe to remove the non return/check valve and run the system without it. That should solve the problem and allow the pump to inject the chlorine easily. :thumbup:

Thanks, Dave. [quote]
You could also let the air pump out and then refit the check valve
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 21 May, 2019 16:50

You could also let the air pump out and then refit the check valve[/quote]
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 21 May, 2019 16:52

Denniswiseman wrote:You could also let the air pump out and then refit the check valve
Davehuge
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Davehuge » Fri 24 May, 2019 06:57

Teapot wrote:You have probably sorted it by now? please let us know how you got on.

Yes, it's sorted now. I removed the non return/check valve and I can see the air bubbles are pumped out along with the liquid chlorine. So the dosing unit should take control of the chlorine level now. :)

Denniswiseman wrote:You could also let the air pump out and then refit the check valve.

Thanks but I didn't want to do this, I need to make it fool proof. As well as myself, there could be other people looking after the pool. If they replace an empty chlorine tank and air enters the tube, the pump could be running without pumping chlorine into the pool, the chlorine level drops and we end up with a green pool. :cry:

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”