Extremely Neglected In-Ground Pool

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Soozeeq89
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Concrete
Minimum of 35 years old
Unused since 01/02/03 (unsure of exact year
Never drained in that time

Extremely Neglected In-Ground Pool

Postby Soozeeq89 » Sat 22 Jun, 2019 23:46

My family home has an old concrete pool - deep end is deeper than current allowable regulations. Hasn't been used since MAYBE 2003, more likely 2001/02. It was never dreamed, just covered and forgotten. It's a literal swamp right now. Plants, trees, frog population. We want to fix it instead of fill it. My husband is ex-pool construction with 10+ years experience but no experience with pools like this. ANYTHING could be in that water. I've read about trash pumps, but concerned about what factors I need to be aware of before making the decision to use one. Also would consider hiring someone, but unsure what kind of service would be able to clear out a pool neglected for 16-18 years. Most of the surrounding clean up we will do ourselves. My biggest concern is draining it and what could be in that pool. Lots of deer where we are and they easily jump the existing chain-link fence.
Any suggestions/advice is extremely welcome.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Extremely Neglected In-Ground Pool

Postby Teapot » Sun 23 Jun, 2019 07:07

Septic tank emptying company?
bucketofish
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 21,000 gallon pool, attached spa, waterfall

Postby bucketofish » Sun 23 Jun, 2019 16:23

Maybe stir around some algicide and a few bags of shock... maybe it'll clear up the water enough to see what larger debris lurks beneath, which maybe you can remove yourself. My pool wasn't covered last season and looked like a pond but I got it looking good in a week - see pics.

2019 pool before copy.jpg
before

2019 pool after copy.jpg
after

Maybe there's still hope for your pool. Or not... obviously it's been neglected a long time and you'll probably have to drain it anyway. If so I like Teapot's septic idea.
Soozeeq89
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Concrete
Minimum of 35 years old
Unused since 01/02/03 (unsure of exact year
Never drained in that time

Postby Soozeeq89 » Tue 25 Jun, 2019 14:50

I've been trying to get pics to upload but the file sizes are huge. But it's basically a swamp with its own ecosystem at this point. Grass, trees, all sorts of random overgrown plants. I'm sure there's a whole root system in the actual water itself. I know it's going to be a huge project.
Both ideas are good, I probably have to do a lot of work just to get it emptied, bc I believe the ground is saturated around it. It's so bad I honestly thought we might need some kind of hazmat :lol:
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 25 Jun, 2019 16:40

Algaecide is a waste of money.
Baize199
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I ground abandoned pool, we want to fix and restore.

Postby Baize199 » Thu 08 Oct, 2020 21:56

How is this project going for you and what are the costs looking like? We are in a similar situation with my father in laws pool.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”