Fail to prime

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Remedy234
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Fail to prime

Postby Remedy234 » Wed 05 Aug, 2020 09:28

Recently replaced the sand filter like for like but now struggling to get the pump working correctly. If I manually prime it I can get it going eventually but when it goes off on the timer it gurgles and spits water back from the filter into the pump which then forces itself out of the top of the pump. It then won’t self prime when the timer kicks back in.
Any suggestions ?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Fail to prime

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 05 Aug, 2020 11:25

Fit a non return valve on the pump inlet pipe to stop it draining out
Remedy234
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Remedy234 » Wed 05 Aug, 2020 14:19

Thanks, that might be a good idea but why would this suddenly start being an issue ? Also, if I’m stopping any water returning from where it came isn’t that only going to cause more water to force itself out of the top of the pump ?
I’m not actually sure it’s draining back out into the pool, it seems more like the pumps emptying from the outlet into the filter, then when the pump stops it then drains back into the pump which then forces it out of the top
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 05 Aug, 2020 16:52

I've never heard of water coming out of the top of a pump pre-filter lid unless it's faulty lid or "O" ring
Normally the gurgling is water being sucked back through pump to the pool
A NRV will keep the flow pipe primed and leave no option for the water to drain to
Remedy234
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Remedy234 » Thu 06 Aug, 2020 00:50

Thank you again Dennis your a legend. Ive ordered a valve and will let you know how I get on
Remedy234
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Remedy234 » Mon 10 Aug, 2020 09:35

Hi Dennis

Unfortunately that didn’t fix it but I think I’ve found the problem. My pump is leaking from the housing so think it’s time for a new one but as this all came with the house we bought I’m unsure of the size I need.
Our pool is small only around 9500 gallons and we have a duratech 19 heat pump. Do you know the correct size pump I’ll need ?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 10 Aug, 2020 10:16

You'll need to get a pump that the heat pump needs
The Duratech 19 needs a nominal water flow of 6 (m³/h) which is 6k litres
Which is 1320 UK gallons and 1585 USA gallons
You will have to check out the flow rates for diffent pumps. Obviously the pump needs to be running for the heat pump to work so you don't want to get to big a pump unless it'a a variable speed

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”