What variable speed pump should I buy?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
dobe12
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 25,000 gallon in ground with Glass filter

What variable speed pump should I buy?

Postby dobe12 » Wed 18 Nov, 2020 17:49

Hi:

I have a 25,000 gallon pool with a small (3 person) spa. I currently have an old 1.5 HP single speed pump. To save on my electric bill I'm considering buying ($699) a Pentair 1.5 HP VS 342001. 

One of my friends seems to think a 2.0 with a Full head would be better, but those pumps seem to be at least twice as expensive. The Pentair is a medium head. 

Someone told me I might need to run the Pentair at full speed to match my current pump. If true that would negate the purpose of my switch to VS. 

What would you suggest?

Thanks!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: What variable speed pump should I buy?

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 19 Nov, 2020 02:49

FWIW Slower filtration is best, so if the 1.5 HP is fine for your current all round use go for the 1.5 HP and run at a slower filtration, using the full speed for mixing chemicals and backwashing
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: What variable speed pump should I buy?

Postby Teapot » Sat 21 Nov, 2020 05:04

dobe12, need to know a lot more about your setup to be able to advise, size of filter, model of filter, size of plumbing, distance from the pad to the pool, elevation of pad in respect to the waterline. Old single speed pumps were powerful enough (actually too powerful in most cases) so that water arrived no matter how bad the plumbing job!
To take full advantage of a variable speed pump and therefore the big savings in electrical cost a bit more information is needed hence the questions above.

I would also ask if there is anything wrong with your current pump? You could add a variable speed drive that controls the electricity to the pump for a bit less, probably 50% of the cost of a new pump.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”