Which pump

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Which pump

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 13 Oct, 2021 10:21

Slower filtration is better filtration and that is the real reason you run the pump at all. What size is the filter and plumbing, filters in real use only pass 50% of the water the manufacturers say they do, they all lie in an attempt to out sell one another because they are stupid.
Filtering slower will remove more from the water so each turnover is achieving higher quality water. The clearer the water the less chlorine you use. If you fit a variable speed pump you can adjust the flow and save a lot of electricity and improve the water.
You only need a powerful pump to backwash, but the plumbing restricts the backwash in many cases as its too small to allow the real flow you need but it will do.
I turn my pool over in 6 hours so I get 4 turnovers per 24 hours. That allows me to set my pump at 7000 ltrs per hour so only using 65 watts of electricity not 750w of a standard single speed pump. That is also the best flow for filtration. I would recommend you use Dryden Aqua's AFM ng filter media as its the best. I have been using the original AFM for years and will fit the new ng version for the start of next season.

I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”