Hayward 1 hp power flo lx pump motor

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
fgarvey1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Hayward ,18×52,pump and filter all Hayward.

Hayward 1 hp power flo lx pump motor

Postby fgarvey1 » Thu 16 Mar, 2023 13:17

Hello All,
I have hayward 1 hp power flo lx pump motor I am working on for my pool. I noticed that there had been rust on the shaft going between the motor and the pump housing. I chipped away the rust. This thinned out the shaft a bit, not a lot but it is noticeable. There a boot resembling the boot on an auto stick shift. It is the first rubber part on the shaft as it comes from the motor. Mine was torn. I have looked on you tube and at every parts diagram for the motor I have ( SP1580z2 on motor housing), but can't find any reference to the boot. It sits on the shaft between the motor and pump housing. Can anyone give me any idea as to what the part name is, where I can get it and how it gets installed? I don't want get a new motor unless I really have to.
I have one more question for now. The deal between my strainer housing and strainer cover is so tight that I need to have my wife help me to pry them apart! And when we finally do pry the cap off, the water comes gushing out like a geyser. That creates the other problem of putting the cap back on so it sits correctly on the o-ring.There has to be an easier way. Any help with either issue will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Hayward 1 hp power flo lx pump motor

Postby Teapot1 » Fri 17 Mar, 2023 17:46

On the second point it sounds like your pump is below the pool waterline? Is there a valve before the pump that would allow you to isolate and prevent the geyser?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
fgarvey1
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Hayward ,18×52,pump and filter all Hayward.

Re: Hayward 1 hp power flo lx pump motor

Postby fgarvey1 » Fri 17 Mar, 2023 19:00

Hello Teapot1,
Yes, the pump is below the waterline. I was thinking about putting a shutoff on the line... so I guess I'm getting some pvc and a shutoff.
Thank you very much!

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”