Is there a leak in my pool return line?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
miamicuse
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: I am still finding out about my pool.

Is there a leak in my pool return line?

Postby miamicuse » Sun 19 Mar, 2023 20:28

I have an in-ground pool and one of the nozzles is ejecting air bubbles.

The return line after the pump/filter runs to the pool, then it splits into two lines, one goes to the north side of the pool (A) and the other one goes to the east side of the pool (B).

The nozzle at A does not have ANY bubble. The nozzle at B is the one that seems to be problematic. It has tiny bubbles coming out, then after about a minute or two, then a big bubble comes, then it repeats again.

Does it mean I have a leak somewhere in the piping? However the water is clean there is no dirt. I would assume if there is a leak some dirt/sand will also be pulled in and expelled?

If I do have a leak does it also mean that the leak is on the return line between the split and B? I assume if it's upstream of it it then A will also be expelling bubbles?

If the leak is on the suction side (I have main drain, cleaner, skimmer, spa 4 suction pipe), I have closed the spa suction line so it should have nothing to do with the spa line, then there should also be bubbles out of both A and B right?

PS: tried to include an image link but was rejected with a message "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct." not sure how to get around that.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Is there a leak in my pool return line?

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 20 Mar, 2023 02:34

Bubbles coming out of a return line are caused by a suction side air leak
Air will take the line of least resistance so air could come out of just one line
The pump is the first place to check for air ingress especially the pump basket "O" ring which should be checked and lubricated with silicone grease
Try shutting them all off except for one untill you have checked them all to determine whether it's a line leak

Where you write a post
Click Full Editor & Preview
Click Attachments
Click Add Files or you can drag and drop
miamicuse
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby miamicuse » Wed 22 Mar, 2023 22:50

Thank you.

I checked again today and found two issues that may be contributing to the problem so I need to resolve those first and see if bubbles remain.

I noticed that the pump is not priming. It is only 2/3 full so that is part of the issue. The pump lid gasket may be worn. I cleaned it and added some silicone grease but didn't make a difference. Will try and get a new gasket. However I am not sure which gasket to get due to not sure of the pump model. I bought this house less than 2 years ago and this pump was already here. Here is a picture of the pump.

IMAG1874.jpg
IMAG1874.jpg (66.5 KiB) Viewed 772 times

On the motor it has a label saying "US MOTOR CAT NO. AST165 MODEL C55CXJMG-2155 THP 1.65" and I think this is just the motor not the actual pump. But the label on the pump is small and no longer legible except for Hayward Pool Productions.

IMAG1874.jpg
IMAG1874.jpg (66.5 KiB) Viewed 772 times

Any idea how to ID the pump? Thanks!
Attachments
IMAG1876.jpg
IMAG1876.jpg (46.24 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 23 Mar, 2023 02:47

Try Inyo pools
Also check the other joints around the pump with shaving foam to see if it pulls in
Pump drain offs have also been a possible source
You could also measure the "O" ring in place and try to source from a supplier
miamicuse
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby miamicuse » Sat 25 Mar, 2023 01:47

I found out it's a Haywood Super II pump.

I have four lines on the suction side, spa, skimmer, cleaner and main drain. There is a Jandy valve on each of those lines then they come together into a single line going to the inlet of the pump.

I tried turning them all off except one, tried skimmer only, cleaner only, main drain only and nothing seems to make a difference, and the pump won't prime either. I also found out while one return jet is coming out with bubbles, the other return jet seems to have no pressure at all as I put my hand over it.

That is really puzzling and I am thinking may be the suction leak is at the pump. So the next step is to replace the pump strainer basket lid gasket and see.

However, I wrapped some duct tape over the lid, over the suction side inlet, and the connection upstream from it, no difference either still bubbles coming out of the jet.

IMG_20230324_171242.jpg
IMG_20230324_171242.jpg (129.36 KiB) Viewed 760 times

IMG_20230324_171247.jpg
IMG_20230324_171247.jpg (101.74 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 25 Mar, 2023 06:17

I doubt duct tape would make a difference
Try shaving foam around all the joints, unions and valves on the suction side
Seeing as nothing stopped the air with everything turned off points to a pump problem
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 25 Mar, 2023 12:54

Why is the pump on the concrete block?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
miamicuse
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby miamicuse » Sun 26 Mar, 2023 10:33

Teapot1 wrote:Why is the pump on the concrete block?

It was sitting on the soil when I bought the property 2 years ago. Leaves just collected around all the equipment and not cleared for years causing them all to decompose resulting in the pump and filter being buried in a few inches of muck. Then there was a palm tree growing right next to it with the roots expanding and bulging out causing everything to be out of level.

Also I am near a river and occasionally the river level rises and flood the streets, and my yard too...they do it during "king tides". I need to raise everything higher.

My plan is to eventually raise everything by 6 to 8 inches. But as a temporary solution I moved some 20X20 patio pavers under the filter and a few blocks under the pump, so I have room to clear out that encroaching palm tree, and dig out from under them old pavers that's deeply buried and cracked.
miamicuse
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby miamicuse » Sun 26 Mar, 2023 10:41

Denniswiseman wrote:I doubt duct tape would make a difference
Try shaving foam around all the joints, unions and valves on the suction side
Seeing as nothing stopped the air with everything turned off points to a pump problem

OK I will remove the duct tapes and try shaving cream instead.

Are you saying the issue may not be in the piping or connections but the actual pump?

Come to think of it, may be the pump is not functioning correctly...I did a really bad thing a few weeks ago. I emptied the spa (by turning ON the suction line to the spa) and diverted that water to the pool. While I was waiting I got distracted by a phone call, I proceed to do some other chores after the phone call and did not remember until 6 hours later, when I came back the pump was running all this time, with the suction line pulling only from the spa and it probably didn't take more than 20 minutes to empty the spa so the pump was running dry for perhaps 5.5 hours.

Could the pump have been badly damaged to the point it's sucking air from overheated joints in it's body?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 26 Mar, 2023 10:51

The pump would have overheated running dry and could have damaged the ceramic seal
Try turning all the valves off and filling the pump reservoir with water and see if it leaks
miamicuse
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby miamicuse » Tue 28 Mar, 2023 10:44

I turned off all the valves, removed the lid over the strainer basket, removed the strainer basket and filled water up till the inlet line (any more and the water will spill back to the pool. I let water sit there and waited a while and didn't see any moisture outside.

I think the next step would be to shut off all the valves so no water can go back to the pool then fill this housing all the way to the the top?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 28 Mar, 2023 12:41

Can the pool/spa valve be turned so that both are in the closed position and not one or the other
Or close all the pool valves and shut off the spa
That way you can fill the pump reservoir to the brim which will give you a better indication

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”