Varispeed pump UK

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro
My Pool: 28' x 10' indoor, liner, oil heater, sand filter.

Varispeed pump UK

Postby Phil.c » Mon 01 Apr, 2024 12:24

A couple of years ago I bought a varispeed pump controller only to find that it didn't work with my pump at a slower speed, I overcome this by cutting a slot in the fan housing, allowing me to spin start the motor, this worked fine, but the drawback is, if the power goes off the pump won't work and the windings get hot, this, unfortunately has just happened and the pump no longer works.
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced verispeed pump in the UK which is swapable with my Astrapool Victoria Plus, I need a low HP one, because the pump will only be running at around 1200rpm.
Thanks,
Phil

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Varispeed pump UK

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 02 Apr, 2024 01:34

Hi Phil, is the pump mounted above or below the waterline, as it would need to be self priming if its above the waterline which can mean a fast start before reducing speed. Which speed controller did you have before?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Tue 02 Apr, 2024 03:32

Hi, the pump is above the waterline and the controller is a Cirtikin, although not made by them, I did post regarding the controller when I bought it, the info said that it works with 1 to 2 HP pumps, I found out later that it only works with certain make pumps and these were not specified, so, rather than just having it as an orniment , I got it working by spinning the fan :)

I've been looking at this https://www.allswimltd.com/la-sta-rite- ... speed-pump

Or...I might even revert back to a very low 0.3HP standard pump as I filter about 12 hours a day and save around £800! ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132820776638 ... UeUAAAAAAA
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 02 Apr, 2024 04:33

Certikin are just re labellers, was it the Clever Pool inverter?

The Sta-rite pump has been around for years and good to see they have made it into a variable speed. I learnt on that pump all those years ago but noted they removed a heat sheild piece from around the bearing seal so we were expecting a few shorter lived ones. Spares however are plentyful.

Have taken a look at Machine mart?
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... p-333lmin/

You could probably use your speed controller on that.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Tue 02 Apr, 2024 04:41

Yes, a Clever Pool Inverter, but not clever enough to run my pump at 1.5HP!

What do you think about the 0.3hp standard pump saving £800 as it will only run for 12 hours per day, also, I guess this would have a slower water flow for better circulation?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 02 Apr, 2024 04:55

You were unlucky, the majority of pool pumps will run with a clever pool. The boosted start to prime above water level pumps should have got over the problem you had but there are a few pumps which from memory are synchronous motors? That wont work. (Trying to remember so please dont take offence). You would need a high flow rate to backwash the filter but yes the rest of the time you should be running on tick over. I have got around this issue by using air assited backwash that saves 2/3rds of the water and gives a far better clean of the filter media. That means big pumps are not required any longer.

Slower flow for better filtration not circulation.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Tue 02 Apr, 2024 05:10

The Clever Pool, starts the pump ok for two minutes for priming and at full rpm, but when it reverts then to a slower speed and any other speed exept full, the pump doesn't turn over.
As for the 0.3hp pump, I'm guessing it should be ok for backwashing as my pool is indoors so, not that much buildup in the filter?
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 02 Apr, 2024 05:55

Ok yes, your old pump couldnt run on the frequency change of the clever pool, most can but not all.
The Astral .3hp is at max (zero head) only 7m3/hour so wont backwash well at all. You need at least double that to expand the filter bed to release dirt and whilst I see what you are saying about the indoor pool its often the really fine dirt etc that works its way deep into the filter bed and is hard to remove. Domestic filters do not backwash that well and leave a lot of fine gunk in them. I have some old photos somewhere I could share if I can find them. Its why I spent time playing with air scouring and finally settled on air assisted backwash as on my own filter Triton T60 the media cleaned up really well.
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Tue 02 Apr, 2024 07:36

So, a 1hp pump then which I have now should be ok, and a different make, might get the Clever Pool working? I see them from £200 upward, any ideas on makes as cheap is not always best?

https://www.pumpsalesdirect.co.uk/clark ... oQEALw_wcB
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 02 Apr, 2024 08:21

Yes agreed, cheap not always the best but sometimes even buying two is longer life than a good more expensive pump. I will take a look through my new 2024 catalogues when I get home tonight as Its try to plaster a wall day here
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Tue 02 Apr, 2024 08:26

Thanks
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 03 Apr, 2024 03:10

Wow have prices risen! Cheapest variable speed is £791 + vat and delivery. The others are £1500 and upwards. Suspect I would get a better deal from my european buddies. Single speed Spec Badu quality pump that would take your clever pool inverter £760 + vat and delivery. Glad I have retired from pool building these prices!
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Wed 03 Apr, 2024 03:25

Thanks, I'll look for a basic 1hp pump I might be lucky if it works with the Clever pool which cost £500!
Phil.c
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Phil.c » Wed 03 Apr, 2024 04:32

Here's one for the books, I've tried the pump every day since it stopped working with no luck but today, I switched the Clever Pool on and off a few times and Lo & Behold, it started in priming mode 2900rpm for two minutes, I then spun the fan and it's running again at 1200rpm? Let's hope the electricity doesn't go off again!
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 03 Apr, 2024 05:15

Thats good, maybe it took the Easter holiday

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”