Pump not working - what size new pump?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Vicked
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Vicked » Sun 16 Jan, 2011 21:13

Hi everyone,

I'm in New Zealand and just moved into a house with a swimming pool. I'm trying to get my head around maintaining it. I stupidly got the pump wet when trying to take out the cartridge (there are 3) for cleaning, now it seems to have died.

My fault, but the motor does look very old so a good time to upgrade anyway. My pool is quite small, and I suspect I only need a small motor, everything here is in hp.

The pool is round, 4.6m diameter, 1.2m deep in the middle and 1m deep around the edges. So, approximately 15 feet across and 4 feet deep in the middle.

Capacity is about 18,000L or 4,800 gallons.

From my reading - this seems to be a very small pool, what sort of pump should I be looking to get? And how long per day should I run it? I've heard anything from 4 hours to 12 hours...

Thanks for your help!

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Wed 19 Jan, 2011 18:59

Any other water features such as a water fall or spa? Also, do you have solar?

With that size pool, you could go as small as you can. For comparison, I have a 20k gallon pool with a 1/2 HP 2 speed pump. Pretty much the smallest you can get. I run high speed for solar (two story roof) but low speed for general circulation.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
Vicked
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Vicked » Wed 19 Jan, 2011 19:26

Yes, I have a solar heating system where water is cycled through tubes on top of the garage roof, but there is a separate power cable for that and I thought it had it's own motor - maybe not though, I'll check.

Regardless, I rarely run the solar system (well I've never run it, I only moved in a couple of months ago).

I have let the motor dry out for a few days, and it still won't start - I'm assuming it's dead. Unless there are any tricks anyone can tell me about?

*EDIT* - I have found a .5HP pump and sand filter, currently I have a cartridge filter and it works quite well. Can I swap the pump in and keep the cartridge filter, or do I have to install both the pump and filter?
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 13:01

Is this an above ground pool? If so, you might stick with an above ground pump and yes you can just replace the pump. If it is an in ground pool, then you will want an inground pump.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”