Suction Obstruction?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
AZWildcat24
I'm new here
I'm new here

Suction Obstruction?

Postby AZWildcat24 » Mon 28 Feb, 2011 22:03

Ok, not sure where to start. I have an in ground pool with a DE filter and 3 lines (main drain, skimmer and dedicated vac line). My vac line poor suction and crap is building up on the pool floor. Last year I had the same problem and had someone come out and blast it with CO2 and a ton of crap came out. I KNOW THERE IS SOMETHING IN THE LINE, but cant get it out. I have tried the drain king and a plumber snake and nada. I notice that the pressure on my filter is around 15 when either the main drain or skimmer (or both) are open and the vac line is closed. When I close the main drain and skimmer lines and only open the vac line, my pressure drops to 0. What does this mean? Do i need to call in the pros and fork over $250 or is there something else I can try.

Thanks in advance....

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Suction Obstruction?

Postby mas985 » Tue 01 Mar, 2011 18:41

Definitely sounds like a clog to me. I would have suggested the drain king but it sounds like that isn't working. Are you inserting the drain king on the pump side to flush backwards? Also, when you turn the water on, can you tell if there is a good seal or is all of the water coming out the hose end? Without a good seal on the drain king, you can't build enough pressure to blow out the blockage.

Also, it sounds like you could use a leaf trap on your suction cleaner.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Suction Obstruction?

Postby Guest » Wed 02 Mar, 2011 02:45

a ton of crap came out

What was blocking the pipe? Leaves, silt, small animals, hairballs, ...
There may be a way to get it solved if we know what we're dealing with.
pool_helper

Suction Obstruction?

Postby pool_helper » Fri 04 Mar, 2011 20:15

sounds like the dedicated vac line is on the side wall and clogged. When you use the drain king do you have it turned to vac line? also are you putting the drain king in at the pump into the pipe where the water enters? When doing this you should see water coming up out of the vac line out that hole.
AZWildcat24
I'm new here
I'm new here

Suction Obstruction?

Postby AZWildcat24 » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 00:14

yes, I have a pine tree above my pool (actually neighbors tree) and those are usually the culprits. When the stuff was blasted out last year, leaves were the main culprit. I have used the drain king on the valve end (I think I have a jandy type valve that I can unscrew the faceplate and put the drain king right in). I also tried from the pool side to try and get it from both angles.

When I put the drain king in, I see a very small amount of water coming out from where I put in in near the valve. I see water coming through to the pool side, but I guess that is normal? I think I'll give it another go and maybe use a tennis ball to stop water from coming out the other end and build up some pressure.

Also, 1 final note. I say drain king, but after looking at the package, it isn't technically a drank king. Its what ever home depot sells. 1.5"-3" rubber inflatable drain king look a like. I see online the drain king has a copper end to help build up more pressure, would this help!?!?!?!

Thanks again in advance guys!
pool_helper

Suction Obstruction?

Postby pool_helper » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 19:54

if you have tried drain king/pipe bladder but it does not seem to work well you can get a air compressor with handle attachment the blows air and do the same thing as blowing it with air tank. Always add drain king at pump pot to reverse clogg and not make it worse. know if you need to vac and you have not fixed vac line just use skimmer.
AZWildcat24
I'm new here
I'm new here

Suction Obstruction?

Postby AZWildcat24 » Tue 08 Mar, 2011 19:48

Thanks pool_helper,
I currently have the vacuum attached to the skimmer but I view that as a short term solution until my clogged line gets resolved. I'll see about using an air compressor.
tdstoltz50&hotmail.com

Suction Obstruction?

Postby tdstoltz50&hotmail.com » Wed 11 May, 2011 19:25

have a piece between my scimmer basket in the hose to the 2nd filter on the pump that obstructs the water to like 1 third the line? does this need to be here? or can I remove this ? my pump does not seem like it circlate the water strong enough,Vac real poor..

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”