Need A Quick Suggestion On How To Remove Old O-Rings

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
coollx
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16X32 inground w/ hayward earth filter

Postby coollx » Sun 29 May, 2011 18:17

I finally was able to start opening my pool yesterday. Hooked up everything but some o rings in the pump and filter fittings need to be replace before I can go any further. The pump does not create vacuum.

Unfortunately, when I tried to remove a couple of the o rings most of them came out intact but some of each o ring is still firmly attached to the recess they fit into in the pump and filter fittings.

My question is what chemical or method can I use that will loosen the remaining pieces without attacking the plastic fitting? I tried picking it out with an exacto knife but really doesn't work very well and it cuts the plastic fitting. Obviously I need to be able to completely clean out the o ring groove that's in the fitting so the new o ring will seal properly.

Hopefully, someone on this forum has encountered and solved this problem before.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you

coollx
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16X32 inground w/ hayward earth filter

Postby coollx » Tue 31 May, 2011 16:26

I thought I'd report back that the o-rings remaining in the fitting grooves were there because I discovered they were glued in from the factory. I guess the manufacturer thinks you should just replace all the fittings if the original o rings break or crack or leak.

So I simply picked and picked away at them with a small pointed screw driver and exacto knife until the grooves were pretty clean and then just put new o-rings in the grooves with vaseline. They sealed fine and I won't have any trouble in the future replacing them.

Just thought it might be helpful for someone else if they have a similar problem.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”