Physics question

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
navigator11111
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16 X 32 inground

Physics question

Postby navigator11111 » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 18:38

Suppose, hypothetically, you held the end of the pipe from the main drain higher than the level of water in your pool and opened the valve at the end. Would the water in the pool come out the pipe or would it stop at the level it's at in the pool. Actual issue is a repair to this pipe and I think the weight of the water would over-ride the principle that water rises only to its own level. Does anybody out there know for sure before we cut this pipe and drain the pool in our faces? Thanks in advance.

Physics question

Postby Guest » Thu 09 Jun, 2011 01:16

The water level is always constant regardless of the pipe diameter or surface area of the body of water. If you cut the pipe the water level will remain at that of the pool and will not rise further.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Physics question

Postby czechmate » Thu 09 Jun, 2011 07:57

Pool User wrote:The water level is always constant regardless of the pipe diameter or surface area of the body of water. If you cut the pipe the water level will remain at that of the pool and will not rise further.

True, provided you do not induce a siphon force, that is often used in geting some water out of the pool by a regular hose or some gas out of your tank for a lawnmower.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”