Pump Prime - getting it back

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Jynxus
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Is an onground pool with a 6' deep end. The bottom drain was closed off when I had kids with long hair. I add everything into the skimmer. My husband always looked after the pool and I swam in it. I lost my husband four years ago to a massive stroke and this pool is a real mystery to me.

Postby Jynxus » Sat 11 Jun, 2011 09:36

When I attach the vacuum to the skimmer, I lose the prime for my pump. Sometimes it starts back up on its own, sometimes putting the hose into the skimmer starts it. Sometimes, like today, nothing helps. I cannot release the valve (in the bucket that fills with water) on the pump, I do not have the strength. Is there any other way to get my pump going again, and what can I do when I'm using the vacuum to make sure this doesn't keep happening? There shouldn't be anything caught in the impeller. My other solution is to sell the house so that I won't have to bother!

Also there are air bubbles continuously coming out of the jets. The fella who opened the pool has no idea why.

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Sat 11 Jun, 2011 12:03

The reason you are losing prime and seeing air come of the returns is that when you put a vacuum on the suction line, it increases the suction at the pump and then air is being drawn in from somewhere. This passes air on to the filter and through the returns. So you need to find and fix the air leak. The pump basket lid is the primary place where leaks occur. Use pool lube on the gasket to help seal the leak. Also check the vacuum line for any air leaks as well.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Sat 11 Jun, 2011 18:55

Jynxus wrote:When I attach the vacuum to the skimmer, I lose the prime for my pump. Sometimes it starts back up on its own, sometimes putting the hose into the skimmer starts it. Sometimes, like today, nothing helps.

Submerge the vacuum hose completely, before attaching it to skimmer.
Than turn the pump on. Hose normally holds enough air to cause loss of prime.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”