Need advice with pool pump and filter system

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
joyce19
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Need advice with pool pump and filter system

Postby joyce19 » Thu 24 May, 2018 06:45

Hey Guys,

I need some help related to pool pump and pool filtration,
how should I Maintain my swimming pool pump, its name "Clearwater FS022 High Rate Pool Sand Filter 22" and also please tell me about its filtration process.??

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 24 May, 2018 07:40

joyce19 wrote:Hey Guys,

I need some help related to pool pump and pool filtration,
how should I Maintain my swimming pool pump, its name "Clearwater FS022 High Rate Pool Sand Filter 22" and also please tell me about its filtration process.??
What do you need to know as they are virtually maintenance free apart from backwashing which should be when the filter pressure is 20% above clean pressure
lucyjohn987
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I love doing swimming. My pool size is 12ft long

Postby lucyjohn987 » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 01:40

TSH Tech wrote:
Pool User wrote:So, can the experts here attempt to educate a rookie about pumps? Not necessarily specific brands, but basic differences between 2 speed motors, switchless motors, booster pumps, filter sizes and things like that. What would be a reasonable setup to upgrade to?

Sounds like a fun pool! (sarcasm) I'll keep it very simple,

2 Speed motors
These allow you to switch between a fixed high speed and a low speed. The advantage to having a 2 speed motor in a pool is you can perform regular filtration at the low speed for more hours and save on electricity usage than you would if you used high speed for short hours. High speed has it's use, typically with solar heating systems. It packs that extra punch to push the water up to the roof of the home. If you don't have a solar heating system, that's fine, you can take advantage of the electricity savings at low speed. 2 speed pumps require a digital timer control, such as the Intermatic P1353ME, which is a common 2 speed pump controller for your basic pump and filter setup with pool cleaner booster.
switchless motors
A majority of pool motors are switchless as they require a time-clock controller(the switch) to switch them on and off. As a simple analogy, a common house box fan and hair dryer are switched motors, because you switch them on right on the unit. Same principle.
booster pumps
Booster pumps are for spa's, that make the water go crazy with bubbles and create water jet action. These are typically fixed speed high power motors. Booster pumps also control automatic pool cleaners by supplying them with a boost of water through the supply hose. Pool cleaner booster pumps require a time-clock control as well.
filter sizes
Filter sizes depend on the size of your pool. There is a complicated formula to match filter sizes with pool gallon sizes so the correct filter is matched for the pool. The concept here is, you don't want a filter too small and you don't want to filter too terrible big. Bigger is not always better in the pool filter arena, as there is a relative formula for pump horsepower that is going to push the water through the filter. You say you pool is 11,000 gallons? I've been in the industry long enough to know that for that much water, a 75 thru 150 sq. ft. cartridge filter is perfect for the job.
Choosing a pool pump depends on the size filter and whether or not you have a solar heating system or plan to install a solar heating system. Your pool, at 11,000 gallons with a 75-100 sq.ft. filter and NO solar system will only require a 3/4 horsepower pump or a 2 speed pump. Same setup WITH a solar system, that 1 horsepower pump is sufficient or a 2 speed pump that rates 1hp at high speed.
I just gave you the basics, it sounds like you have a very simple setup, nothing complicated. As for your capped off floor drain, my best guess based upon experience, is that your pool has a floor drain leak and rather than spend a substantial amount of money for the repair, it was just easy to cap it off and use the skimmer instead. Just my first initial guess. Good luck

Great reply
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Mon 27 Aug, 2018 11:04

Great reply,
Was it, the part about filters was wrong, a lot of the rest is out of date and based on old and wrong information
mike7878
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: my pool is so wide and i love my pool .

Postby mike7878 » Fri 28 Dec, 2018 06:42

Hello there,

First of all thanks to TSH Tech, you have done a great job. Actually, I'm also facing this type of problem with my pool pump filter system. I hope your comment would help me. If I need any help then I'll ask you in the thread section or if I'll get any useful info about pool pump filter system I'll write here.
Thankyou!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 28 Dec, 2018 12:10

Mike7878
You can ask about your setup if you explain a bit more of what the issue is and what equipment you have now.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Sun 27 Jan, 2019 03:38

Where exactly is the leak, on the pump casing, from the pump to hose/pipe work, hose/pipe to valve/filter?

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”