Sand coming out return jets

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
360Lover
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground, 16X32, sand filter, chlorine

Postby 360Lover » Sun 25 Mar, 2012 13:16

Late last summer I changed the sand in my Hayward filter because it seemed to no longer be effectively cleaning the water. So I started scooping the sand out and broke the upright pipe going into the pump head. So after a finished removing all of the sand, I went and bought a replacement lateral assembly and some sand. I got it all installed, but sand started coming out the return jets. I thought it may have been because I put in too much sand and that it would stop, but it hasn't. Any ideas?

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Tue 27 Mar, 2012 01:52

I know you're probably not going to like this, but you're going to have to re-scoop out that sand and check those laterals again to see if one or more cracked. If you are still getting sand in the return lines, something is broken and the most likely weakest link are the laterals. The other possibility is the small air bleed hose not fastened correctly or broken.

When our company installs sand filters, before we start putting sand into the filter, we fill up the inside of the filter with water just a little less than a quarter(.25) full. Then we gently scoop sand in around the laterals so we don't crush them with a rapid pour of sand. Yes, laterals can break and crush with the rapid weight of sand being poured in quickly. That's why the initial slow scoop method is important. Once we see that the laterals are covered in sand and are no longer visible, then we begin to pour sand and evenly distribute the sand.
360Lover
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground, 16X32, sand filter, chlorine

Postby 360Lover » Sat 31 Mar, 2012 16:24

Thanks for the advice. You're right, it's not what I wanted to hear, but that's the way it flows. :)
scg

Postby scg » Fri 20 Apr, 2012 08:35

Where does one locate the small air bleed tube?

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”