Air in system with pressure loss

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
bkruz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby bkruz » Sat 28 Apr, 2012 08:09

Hi,
I just purchased a home with an in ground pool. It only has 1 gate valve with main drain & skimmer. The cleaner is attached through the skimmer. When the main & skimmer are on together everything works fine. I maintain 14PSI with no visible air in the system. When I try to switch to skimmer with the cleaner in the psi drops to 6 & I have air in the system. I have already replaced the whole hose for the cleaner, pressure gage, o-rings, bleed valve, screw down knob. I am really at a loss! Very new to owing a pool, so any help would be greatly appreciated :D

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Sun 29 Apr, 2012 13:27

Are you sure that you need to close off the main drain completely? Try a partial close.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
bkruz
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby bkruz » Wed 02 May, 2012 12:46

I was under the impression that while running the cleaner I must have the main drain closed. Is this not true?
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Postby czechmate » Thu 03 May, 2012 12:21

It is possible that that cleaner is causing pump starvation.
Unsatisfied demand for more water by pump will exploit weaknesses in seals in pump strainer and elsewher, that may not be normally visible.
Always listen to your pump. It will give you a warning if it is not working with plenty of water supply, or is otherwise in bind.
It takes a while to know the "happy pump" sound though.
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby mas985 » Thu 03 May, 2012 18:53

bkruz wrote:I was under the impression that while running the cleaner I must have the main drain closed. Is this not true?

Not always.Try leaving the main drain fully open and then gradually close it off until the cleaner starts working properly.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”