EcoStar SVRS "Drive Error!" Autoprime Failure

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Wed 24 Jul, 2013 23:34

Excellent feedback, glad this is helping everyone! :thumbup:

JohnR

Postby JohnR » Sun 25 Aug, 2013 17:46

Your help is still out here helping! :)
RaeMc

Postby RaeMc » Mon 02 Sep, 2013 15:15

I too was going to throw it in the pool. Had it installed last week. Took me 4 days to finally decide to google the problem. Your response was the first hit. Did what you said Works like a charm. Thanks so much
Rae
Alm478

Postby Alm478 » Sat 28 Sep, 2013 13:41

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

Postby Guest » Sun 15 Dec, 2013 19:39

Thanks. Just installed a new "Ecostar Pump" and it's stuck on auto prime. Too dark and rainy now but will take your suggestion and switch to 3 minute mode.
Jake50

Postby Jake50 » Wed 12 Feb, 2014 16:15

Bravo to whoever put this for all to see. Most pools use solar and this has caused me to have service calls at $100 each and when anyone came out they would put a new pump in, complete new pump. This tells me this is a secret in the industry just for the service call. My pump acted up again and this was the problem and it took one minute to fix. Thank You....
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Mon 24 Mar, 2014 00:02

Hi Jake,

After talking with a Hayward local representative at the time, who is a well known rep in (our) region for support, I believe Hayward's testing lab criteria did not anticipate this scenario.

This is just my opinion as a pool tech and the overall feeling I received trying to solve this problem with reps in the loop.
txbob

Postby txbob » Mon 12 May, 2014 15:55

Thanks, worked for me but makes absolutely no sense to me. I installed the pump a few days ago, was working fine and then I started getting these drive errors, prime failures at the end of the prime cycle. I am happy that this seems to have evaded the problem, seems to be priming and running fine. However it seems that what I did was to REDUCE the prime cycle from 15 minutes to 3 minutes. Can anyone explain why this would prevent a prime failure??
JON6

Postby JON6 » Wed 09 Jul, 2014 17:09

:crazy: That makes perfect sense! I was thinking the sensor was bad and started to trouble shoot that. Instead, it was time to change the DE. The Auto Prime feature must be too sensitive to the least bit of back pressure. I could tell that I really didn't have any priming issues because the basket was always full when it said Autoprime Failure! I changed the DE and made the prime run 3 minutes per your instructions. Thank you for saving me time and money with this post!
Thumper0711

Postby Thumper0711 » Wed 09 Jul, 2014 22:40

This saved me also, I was getting very frustrated. I realize this is an old thread but I'm curious, what happens if there is actually a suction failure, won't the pump possibly run dry and ruin the pump?
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Fri 25 Jul, 2014 03:02

Thumper0711 wrote:This saved me also, I was getting very frustrated. I realize this is an old thread but I'm curious, what happens if there is actually a suction failure, won't the pump possibly run dry and ruin the pump?

Well, it's like every other pool pump over the last 20 years that loses prime and run dry: They get hot, plastic parts melt, impellers warp, O-rings melt and the pump side assembly warps.

There's no sure thing on protecting a pump from losing prime. It doesn't happen that often, but when it does, it's the nature of the beast and hope you catch it in time.

- ensure your water level never drops below the skimmer line
- ensure your pump pot lid O-rings are not damaged or out of round
replace them as part of a scheduled maintenance
- when you notice a drip under your pump, have ALL your seals replaced
- ensure all connecting pipe/unions to the pump do not leak
- ensure any connecting valve O-rings to the pump do not leak air
replace O-rings as necessary
- hope your pipes and fittings do not crack or leak
whiskeya11

Postby whiskeya11 » Sun 27 Jul, 2014 23:06

Glad this post was still here. Just spent hours trying to get my auto prime to work. Problem solved! Thanks all.
ram

Postby ram » Tue 05 Aug, 2014 17:34

Thanks!!! 3 minute mode fixed my problem on my SP3400VSP. It would be nice if Hayward put this in their owners manual.
karen_frnks

Re: EcoStar SVRS "Drive Error!" Autoprime Failure

Postby karen_frnks » Mon 16 Nov, 2015 19:48

I am so thankful for this post. Thank you so much for the information. Thank you for paying it forward with this knowledge. I had been so frustrated and now it is fixed with just an simple setting change. halleluiah!!!!!

:clap: :D :D :D
freesoul

Re: EcoStar SVRS "Drive Error!" Autoprime Failure

Postby freesoul » Tue 17 Nov, 2015 07:30

Wow! Such a great response to such an old post.
Just goes to show that all knowledge is useful for someone somewhere.

Heeheehee

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”