Leak between top of sand filter & multi-port valve (Hayward)

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
jer989
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jer989 » Sun 27 May, 2012 23:51

I have an older (probably 15+ years) Hayward sand filter with a top mounted multi-port valve. I noticed as I was topping off the water in the pool as I was opening the pool that there was a bit of a drip-drip-drip leak coming from where the valve and the top of the sand filter tank meet.

I then took off the clamp and belly band and inspected the o-ring the goes around the bottom of the portion of the valve that fits into the neck of the filter tank. It was a little loose (not super snug against the body of the valve) - but it seemed ok, and it was not cracked or damaged looking, maybe a little flat, but not too bad. I re-installed the valve on the top of the tank and tightened the band and it still leaked, even worse actually!

I tried a couple more times with the same results. Then off to the pool store, picked up some pool lube, and the guy sized up my old o-ring and I bought a new one. I also (while it was all apart) replaced the sand in the filter. Anyways - I VERY THOROUGHLY cleaned up the lip of the tank and the bottom of the valve that goes into the tank VERY carefully, lubed the new o-ring, got the valve back on the tank, wiggled it down, pressed down on the valve to get it as tight to the tank as I could. Then got the band tightened around the union of the valve and the tank. Turned the valve to RINSE, turned it on again, and again, water spurting out from multiple places where the valve meets the tank, as bad as ever!

Am I doing something wrong maybe? Does that belly band go on a certain way (one side is up, the other down?) - I did verify the band was catching the valve and the tank all the way around. I have inspected the top of the tank and the bottom of the valve and see no cracks or damage there. Is it possible I have the wrong o-ring maybe? The new o-ring sits snug around the bottom of the valve, it SEEMS to be the right one.

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated! Thanks!

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Thu 07 Jun, 2012 18:51

Sounds like you have covered all the basics. I don't think it matters which way the belly band faces, it should work either way. Could possibly be the wrong o-ring. Is it an aftermarket ring or genuine hayward? You said the filter is 15 years old, so maybe the new o ring is not an exact match to the older model filter. Check the clamp & belly band for any damaged or stripped threads. If all else fails, you can silicone the multiport to the filter tank. Let it dry overnight before starting the filter back up. It would be a cheaper fix than buying multiple o rings, and silicone wouldn't be too hard to remove if you need to pop the top off the filter later on.
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Fri 08 Jun, 2012 02:53

Sounds fun :wtf:

Just throwing this out there..

When it comes to old equipment(Antony, Wet Institute, etc...) occasionally, pool stores will match new o-rings to that of the crushed, shrunken old o-ring size, not taking into account the original condition of a the new o-ring is thicker and wider.
An older Hayward multiport valve should have a model number on it, and if any pool stores have a cross reference part number, or, happened to have an OEM o-ring collecting dust somewhere, that's your best choice.
NB_80
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: INGROUND POOL. TRADEWINDS 22'X32'. BUILT IN 1982. PURCHASED THE HOME AND PROPERTY IN 2013. DID THE POOL REDO(DRAIN, CLEAN, REPAINT, NEW PUMP, NEW FILTER) MAY 2019. PLASTER POOL. SALTWATER PUMP. SAND FILTER.

Re: HELPPPPPP...Leak between top of sand filter & multi-port valve (Hayward)

Postby NB_80 » Tue 17 Mar, 2020 14:43

HELP**** When I got home from work yesterday the had water spraying from the top of the sand filter(tan top) where it means the valve port(black top). I turned the breaker off around 6pm and its been off ever since. The filter was purchased brand new in 2018 and just installed after a pool overhaul in May 2019. So its been less than a year operating. Please tell me there is a cheap easy fix...
*Hayward Pro Series MODEL: S244T

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”