Low pressure

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
ldykler
I'm new here
I'm new here

Low pressure

Postby ldykler » Fri 08 Jun, 2012 11:29

I have about 3 pounds of pressure on my gauge. Small, new, inground pool, sand filter, etc. Have checked plumbing, motor, impeller, no obstructions anywhere. Sand filter looks fine too. Don't know what is left to check. Any ideas?
Tnx
Leon

TSH Tech

Low pressure

Postby TSH Tech » Fri 08 Jun, 2012 18:03

Run a BACKWASH cycle, then a RINSE cycle until the water exiting the pipe is clear again, then move it back to FILTER. Tell me what your filter pressure is after those steps have been completed.
ldykler
I'm new here
I'm new here

Low pressure

Postby ldykler » Fri 08 Jun, 2012 20:42

Hi TSH, fyi, I have run a number of backwash and rinse cycles, but pressure doesn't go up. Pressure goes up as the filter gets dirty, and i run backwash/rinse at about 10 pounds. Then it goes to about 3 pounds. June 9 2012.
-------------------------------
Tnx TSH, but water is clean, not an issue. It's just a pressure issue. Pipes seem to be ok. Only thing left (i think) is the sand filter itself, possibly cement or something in the internal pipes of the filter, from construction, but don't want to go there unless i have no other options, so looking for other ideas first. When i opened the sand filter, all looks clear, and sand about halfway up, as i think it should be. Other ideas or thoughts?
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Low pressure

Postby CGPoolman » Sat 09 Jun, 2012 16:48

Couple of silly questions, but it would eliminate a few things:

How is the flow into the pool? Is there low pressure coming out of the return jets as well?
Have you tried replacing the pressure gauge to make sure the one on the filter is good?
Check the multiport valve on the filter and make sure it is plumbed correctly?
Is your pump pulling a full prime? Do you see any air in the strainer pot on the front of your pump?
ldykler
I'm new here
I'm new here

Low pressure

Postby ldykler » Sat 09 Jun, 2012 23:03

Hi CGPoolman,
How is the flow into the pool? Is there low pressure coming out of the return jets as well? Water pressure seems to be weaker than i think it should be.
Have you tried replacing the pressure gauge to make sure the one on the filter is good? Not yet
Check the multiport valve on the filter and make sure it is plumbed correctly? Looks right.
Is your pump pulling a full prime? Do you see any air in the strainer pot on the front of your pump? No air in strainer pot of pump.
Tnx :)
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Low pressure

Postby CGPoolman » Tue 12 Jun, 2012 13:13

I'm not sure what else to tell you, but sounds like you may not have any problems at all. 3 pounds does seem a bit low, but it seems like you have covered all the basics. You haven't mentioned that the pool is getting dirty, so I am going to assume the filter is functioning properly. If something was clogged up in there, your pressure would be spiking up, not going down.

The only other suggestion I could make is have a tech come out to give it a once-over. Maybe there is something hiding in plain sight.
ldykler
I'm new here
I'm new here

Low pressure

Postby ldykler » Wed 20 Jun, 2012 12:03

Tnx CGP. I have since established that my pump is for "above ground pools or small inground pools". My pool is a small inground. In addition, pump is not "self-priming", like my friend's, and also is about two feet above water level :(, all of which may contribute to the difference in flow (?). Self priming pumps seem to have a larger impeller, i guess, not sure. Other than that, will continue using it, and when (not if) it conks out, i will move onto a self-priming pump.
Tnx for your help, all.
Leon
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Low pressure

Postby CGPoolman » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 09:02

Leon,

A self priming pump has a diffuser that bleeds the air out of the pump to draw prime. A non self priming pump relies on the fluid to create the suction needed to pump water. I don't blame you for wanting to use the pump till it conks out - You may want to consider putting a small check valve on your suction line to keep the pump from draining out when the system shuts down. If/when you are going to replace that pump, I would recommend the 1HP Hayward Max Flo II, should work great for the setup you have and doesn't burn a lot of electricity. You can usually find them for 280 or less if you shop around. I use this for a lot of the pump replacements I do and have zero problems with them.

CG
ldykler
I'm new here
I'm new here

Low pressure

Postby ldykler » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 12:42

Tnx CGP, I appreciate your help and info.
Leon

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”