Major Return Line Leak

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Dizzy dean

Major Return Line Leak

Postby Dizzy dean » Sun 10 Jun, 2012 09:16

I just refinished the concrete portion of my kidney-shaped pool, bought the new filter system and have since discover the return line is leaking a large amount - approximately an inch an hour. I used dye to check all underwater fittings and the return outlets suck it in like a sponge. The concrete surrounding the pool is 8" thick, so cutting through this is unaffordable on our budget.

Due to the shape, it having two skimmers (one in the shallow, one in the deep), it's common since that proper circulation is key in order to maintain cleanliness of the pool.

My idea is to run schedule 40 PVC above ground from the pump, drop it straight down over the side and plumb in three new return jets on the same side as the skimmers. The distance between the two skimmers is approximately 24 feet.

My question is... if I have two jets pointed in the general area of each skimmer and the third pointed down into the deep end, would I get adequate circulation? I know the proper method would be to cut through the concrete and replace the original line, but that simply is not affordable (estimates have been in the neighborhood of $9500-$18,000).

I'm not worried about aesthetics... just functionality.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice.

Dizzydean
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 1978 kidney-shaped concrete 20k gallon, new Hayward 1hp Sand Filter system.

Major Return Line Leak

Postby Dizzydean » Tue 12 Jun, 2012 21:49

Wow. 204 views and not one single reply? Nice.

It really doesn't matter now anyway because I was able to construct my own above deck return line for about $75.00 and have the circulation needed for both skimmers in my pool.

If anyone owns a kidney-shaped pool with similar problems, message me and I'll be more than happy to offer up what I can.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”