Returns stop shooting out water

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Sat 23 Jun, 2012 17:43

Vickie30361 wrote:So the filter was taken apart and cleaned with a mild acid solution and is in great condition but the pool still is building pressure after three to four hours... Shut it off for a bit and it works again for a few hours.... Whä else could be going on? I'm so frustrated.

What is the make/model of your filter? and pool pump?

What is the Horsepower rating of your pool pump?

Do you remember this phenomenon ever happening before? What was your pressure reading when your filter was new versus when this started happening now? Had any new work been performed on the pool equipment?

And despite all of this, your pool water remains clear? or fades cloudy?

The problem here primarily is filter pressure combined with pool water clarity starting to decline? or pressure only?

Take a picture of your pool equipment and post it?

Vickie30361
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground 20' x 40'

Postby Vickie30361 » Sat 23 Jun, 2012 18:46

I have a Hayward de 4820 pool filter and a Hayward super pump 1 1/2 horse power. There has not been any work done on the pool since it has been installed four years ago. The pressure when it was first Installed was between 12-15 psi and now it runs at 18-28 psi. When the pressure goes higher the water stops shooting out of the returns. I also have a Polaris vacuum in the pool that has its own pump. The Polaris also stops circulating when the pressure goes to high. The water is clearing up but is still a little cloudy. I put a lot of shock in the pool about 10-12 bags of powder. The problem is that the pressure is going too high so the water stops filtering and becomes cloudy and dirty. When the filter is off for an hour or so and then turned back on it filters properly again but only for 3-4 hours. I'm sorry I'm not sure how to post pictures.... Thank you for your help.
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Sat 23 Jun, 2012 22:26

1.5 hp pump... solar heating or no?

With a 48 Sq.Ft. DE filter, that is a large residential pool filter and should filter a pool with ease.

You are describing a similar symptom of one of my clients that also has a ProGrid DE filter. As I describe my clients pool, see if this sounds similar; Every year I go round and round with my client to cut his tree back away from the pool. He has a tree planted near his pool that drips this awful sticky sap. This sap drips into the pool and drips on his pool deck leaving the deck under the tree "sticky". This sap makes its way into the filter and clogs it up, causing his returns lines to sort of ooze out water rather than jet water out. His pool doesn't filter and turns cloudy and begins to develop yellow algae on the sides of the walls. If I go and backwash the filter, I can get some of the sap to wash out with the DE, but the problem is this, his filter pressure starts out at 15 lbs, then begins to increase to nearly 30 pounds of pressure. The problem is inside the filter, tree sap has clogged the filter grids. At that point, I have to completely disassemble the filter grids and by disassemble, I have to unscrew the main bolt that holds them all together, take out the grids one by one, lay them out on the lawn and individually clean each filter grid with cleaner spray and high pressure hose nozzle. IF I just clean the grids still assembled, I only get partial cleaning results and the problem with pressure and lack of filtration starts all over again, as though I never cleaned it. Once put back together again, with new DE, his filter pressure is normal again around 17 pounds. My client gets the gardeners to cut the tree back so the branches are no longer over the pool and his pool is crystal clear with good excellent water flow, at least, until that damn tree grows back again in the Springtime.
~
Have you performed a thorough cleaning like this?
Inspection:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmCmHJG5tH4
Reassembly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyEfEtUog-A
Vickie30361
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground 20' x 40'

Postby Vickie30361 » Mon 25 Jun, 2012 07:33

Thank you do much I took the filter apart and there was black stuff all inside. I recleaned it and it works great now. We have no trees by our house at all but the pool cover was very green and we had ducks visit us every day. I guess that's wht clOgged everything. Thank you so much for your help!!!
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Mon 25 Jun, 2012 10:32

:thumbup:

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”