Pump issues

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
terry

Pump issues

Postby terry » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 16:25

I replaced my 1hp pool pump with 2" inlet with a new 1.5hp pump with 2.5" inlet. My new pump continues to overheat and burn up the motors (3 of them in 3 months). The old one ran fine for 7 years. The flow rate and pressure is the same as the old one. I used reducers to match up the 2.5" pump to the 2" plumbing. I wonder if the reduction on the larger pump is causing it to overheat? Help!! The kids are going to drown me if I don't get the pool open. Any suggestions?

terry

Pump issues

Postby terry » Thu 21 Jun, 2012 16:35

It is a maxiforce pump I used to replace a pentair pump.
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Pump issues

Postby CGPoolman » Fri 22 Jun, 2012 10:46

Terry,

3 motors in 3 months?? Something is definitely not right. First thing I would look at is the electrical hook up. Make sure the pump is wired in correctly - check connections - make sure it is wired for the right voltage.

Second - is the pump losing prime when it shuts off? Check for any leaks in the plumbing that could be causing the pump to drain out while it is off. Let the pump draw a full prime then shut it off. Watch it for a few minutes and see if the water level in the strainer pot starts to go down. Your problem could be something as simple as a lid O-ring that needs replacing.

Also check the pump's impeller. If the impeller is defective it can cause the pump motor to work harder which increases the amp draw which in turn can cause the motor to get VERY hot and burn itself up.

Hope this helps, please post and let us know what you find.

CG
terry

Pump issues

Postby terry » Sat 23 Jun, 2012 18:18

The motor is wired correctly. Ive wired lots of motors.(Electrician for 30+ years) Its drawing 7.5 amps. That is the FLA rating on the nameplate. Its disturbing to me that its drawing FLA all the time considering that the service factor is only 1.0. The old pump motor was 1.25. I would think that a 1.5hp motor would not have to work so hard when replacing a 1hp motor. Its not losing its prime when the pump is turned off. As for the o-ring and impeller, the pump and motor are sold as a set. Its all new. Any other suggestions?
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Pump issues

Postby CGPoolman » Mon 25 Jun, 2012 10:09

Terry,

We've ruled out electricity and a bad seal. I'm still leaning towards a defective impeller, this is a pretty common cause for a motor to overheat like you describe. You said this is a Maxiforce pump - this is the Island Rec Brand yes?

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”