Solenoid Vavle v. an Auto Fill?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
gpowers

Postby gpowers » Thu 19 Jul, 2012 09:38

Hello, We recently had a pool built that was supposed to include an auto fill (per the contract). For whatever reason, the contractor did not include an auto-fill and is now saying that he could install a solenoid valve in order to rectify the problem. I suspect that we're being taken advantage of, and that he valve is cheaper or easier to install than the auto fill, but would appreciate any insight that someone more knowledgeable about this might be able to offer.

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Thu 19 Jul, 2012 22:33

There's a wireless option if you do not wish to tear up the deck, drill a hole in the side of the pool and install an auto filler after the fact. Fusion Products makes a wireless auto filler. You attach a wireless sensor inside the skimmer, so its hidden from view. Then you make your water supply connection at the pool pump/filter area with their shutoff valve. Google or Yahoo search "Fusion G2/wireless Auto-Fill Management System"

pros and cons; It's an automatic water filler for your pool. You need to remember to replace the 9Volt battery every season or every other two seasons. The sensor will get gummed up after several years of use.
Had the contractor installed a regular float type filler as you originally asked, after a few years of use you would eventually have to replace the plastic float and possibly a new rubber seal kit. Either system, something is going to fail eventually.
funston

Postby funston » Fri 27 Jul, 2012 07:13

:lol:
TSH Tech wrote:There's a wireless option if you do not wish to tear up the deck, drill a hole in the side of the pool and install an auto filler after the fact. Fusion Products makes a wireless auto filler. You attach a wireless sensor inside the skimmer, so its hidden from view. Then you make your water supply connection at the pool pump/filter area with their shutoff valve. Google or Yahoo search "Fusion G2/wireless Auto-Fill Management System"

pros and cons; It's an automatic water filler for your pool. You need to remember to replace the 9Volt battery every season or every other two seasons. The sensor will get gummed up after several years of use.
Had the contractor installed a regular float type filler as you originally asked, after a few years of use you would eventually have to replace the plastic float and possibly a new rubber seal kit. Either system, something is going to fail eventually.
Funston

Postby Funston » Wed 13 Feb, 2013 05:33

gpowers wrote:Hello, We recently had a pool built that was supposed to include an auto fill (per the contract). For whatever reason, the contractor did not include an auto-fill and is now saying that he could install a solenoid valve in order to rectify the problem. I suspect that we're being taken advantage of, and that he valve is cheaper or easier to install than the auto fill, but would appreciate any insight that someone more knowledgeable about this might be able to offer.
gpowers wrote:Hello, We recently had a pool built that was supposed to include an auto fill (per the contract). For whatever reason, the contractor did not include an auto-fill and is now saying that he could install a solenoid valve in order to rectify the problem. I suspect that we're being taken advantage of, and that he valve is cheaper or easier to install than the auto fill, but would appreciate any insight that someone more knowledgeable about this might be able to offer.
poolmandave33
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool is located in sunny southern california and has been running great for a couple of years now. I work on the computer and thought I would see if there was anyone else I could help with my prior trials and tribulations with my free time.

Re: Solenoid Vavle v. an Auto Fill?

Postby poolmandave33 » Tue 14 Jun, 2016 11:30

A solenoid valve is not the same. Frequent issues are overfilling, or forgetting to fill before wanting to use the pool. As you know, it takes time to fill up the pool and more to have it ready for swimming after it's full. After a lot of searching, I finally found a company called Kona Labs that offers a wireless autofill without having to tear up your deck after the pool construction is complete. It is completely wireless and very easy to install and has 100% helped me over the past couple of years. You can see their autofill solution here: https://konalabs.com/product/levelsmart/

Hope this helps

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”