Washer Only> Predator Cellular Media Filter Locking Ring

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
GearMaven
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Predator Cellular Media Filter Model

Postby GearMaven » Sun 16 Dec, 2012 14:20

Had an enthusiastic relative attempting to find small leak in Predator Cellular Media Filter Model No. 56408400. While cleaning filter and replacing/lubricating filter body O-ring, parts of the Locking Ring were jarred loose. On each side of the ring, there are the handles with springs that you compress to lock/unlock the ring in place. On one, the piece that is usually locked on top of the spring was loose on the ground. I've located the spring, but not the small plastic or rubber washer with inner star-shape that kept that piece and the spring in place. I can't see anywhere that I can purchase just THAT little washer, but sure don't want to spend $50-$70 replacing the whole locking ring. Does anyone have an idea of where I might find that small washer or if I'd be able to substitute another one from Home Depot to serve the same purpose? Regrettably, I don't want to remove the other one to see exactly what the washer looks like, so I'd have to guess at it or seek advice from an expert. A local pool store only said I'd have to buy another Locking Ring. Hoping somewhere here has a less expensive alternative; otherwise, that was an expensive bit of "help" I received from relative.

Jan

TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 23:35

You are referring to the black plastic lock ring that screws down the two halves of the filter, and has two spring loaded squeeze tabs, correct?

Yes, I've broken one of those at one time. Lock ring was weathered and old, the little pieces just gave out. As long as you have 1 working one, you're good to go. In all my years servicing pools with those screw-down lock types, never had one un-thread itself. Certain Jacuzzi filters have a metal ring that screw down and NO lock handles.

If you decide to repair it yourself using hardware store parts, it's important that you use only stainless steel or brass parts such as washers or screws.
GearMaven
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Predator Cellular Media Filter Model

Postby GearMaven » Thu 03 Jan, 2013 06:12

Thanks for the info. Will remember to use stainless or brass. Much appreciated.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”