Pool Pumps Keep Dying

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
bxchk

Pool Pumps Keep Dying

Postby bxchk » Tue 05 Feb, 2013 09:54

I have a 38-foot above ground pool. In the 4 years that I have owned my house (pool came with the house), I have gone through 3 pool pumps. All were Hayward brands. The first two were 1 HP (one was two speed) and the last one was 1.5 HP (one speed). The shaft on the pump starts looking rusty and then the motor appears to seize up. I had the last pump rebuilt a year ago and now it is not working.

Several people have told me that these pumps are made to be out in the elements, made to be placed close to pools and be splashed by water, etc. I have even put a big Rubbermaid container over the pump to protect it when I am not running the pump. These pumps should last longer than one season...right?!?!?

We have even had the electrical wiring redone that we plug the pump into (it is a covered outlet that is protected from the elements and does in fact work...we tested it several times). The voltage is appropriate for the pumps we have purchased (110).

We don't even run the pump more than 4-6 hours every other day, so over-use is not an issue. I have not run it in about 3 weeks because the chemical levels have been great.

Does anyone have similar experiences with pool pumps? If so, what do you do to help extend your pump life. Is Hayward no longer a good brand? Any suggestions for a new and longer-lasting pumps? Help! :(

mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Pool Pumps Keep Dying

Postby mas985 » Tue 05 Feb, 2013 10:47

Sounds like the seals are going bad which can be replaced if done when first detected. Otherwise the bearings will start to rust and then it is a much more expensive repair.

Do you close the pool for the winter and leave the pump out? Some pumps can survive a winter but only when properly winterized.

What model Hayward is the pump?
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater
bxchk

Pool Pumps Keep Dying

Postby bxchk » Tue 05 Feb, 2013 11:10

Thanks for the reply, mas985.

I have to check the model number...don't have access to the pump at the moment.

No, I don't winterize my pool. I turn the pump on for a few hours maybe once a week or every two weeks just to keep the water circulated and when adding chlorine. This past 3 weeks is the longest that I have not run the pump (due to the colder weather and good chemical levels).

I understand what you are saying about the seals, but there is no advanced notice that the pump is going to stop working (no hesitation to start, no skipping, etc.), so how am I supposed to know to replace the seals? Or do the seals show signs of deterioration?

I haven't seen any water dripping from the pump.

Maybe there is a brand pump out there that has better seals...?
mas985
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Pool Pumps Keep Dying

Postby mas985 » Tue 05 Feb, 2013 16:56

bxchk wrote:I haven't seen any water dripping from the pump.

That's usually how you tell if the seals are going bad but you need to look carefully because the water could end up anywhere on the ground by the pump.

As for the seals, the pump manufacture usually doesn't make those and in fact, the only thing Hayward makes is the wet end. The motor is usually an A.O. Smith. Most of the major manufactures use the same motors and seals so it may not benefit you going with another manufacture but you could try. More than likely the issue is in how the pump is being used. I have had Hayward pumps for 7 years without issue and many others as well.

You don't close the pool but do you ever get freezing temps? That can be enough to damage a pump.
Mark
Hydraulics 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Ed 101
18'x36' 20k gallon plaster/gunite pool, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge Filter, Solar Panels, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”