Replace underground heater

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Dermot
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In-ground

Postby Dermot » Wed 13 Mar, 2013 08:23

The pool in a home we are buying has an underground pit where the heater and pump is located. The equipment is broken and I am told that the local council ( City of Rancho Mirage) no longer permits an underground pool heater.
What would the best way to replace the equipment, suggestions whether traditional heat or solar and any ball park on cost?
Thanks for any help with this.

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Wed 13 Mar, 2013 10:21

Hi Dermot,

Let me start by saying that I've never worked in California, but I would double check on the building codes before making any big money decisions. The new laws/codes may only apply to new construction. I work in Florida, and most of the time the new regulations apply only to new construction. If you are repairing an existing setup, you are not always required to meet the new codes. Take the pool pump for example. New law/code requires a multi speed pump for all new construction. However, if I replace an existing single speed pump I am not required to go with a multi speed for the new one. I can replace like for like and there's no problem.

Have you had anyone out to look at the pool equipment yet? The repairs could be fairly inexpensive to get it running again. Having to relocate all that plumbing/electric etc could end up costing big bucks. Just my .02

-CG

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”