Pump runs but nothing happens

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
gelidus
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby gelidus » Tue 07 May, 2013 20:59

I have a 30k gallon pool. When I prime the pump the water flowns from the basket to the filter but that seems to be it.

When I put it on recuirculate nothing happens at all...

Nothing comes out of the jets nothing seems to be getting sucked into the skimmers.

I know I have good seal on the basket cause when I open it, it hisses..

Any help would be awesome

thx

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Wed 08 May, 2013 12:34

Gelidus,

Your pump has a full prime, correct?

If you have tried it with the filter set to recirculate and still nothing, I think we can rule out a filter clog. Have you also checked all your suction and return valves to make sure they are open? Silly question but I have to ask.

If you are sure the valves are set right and still there is no suction or return in the pool, you should have the pump checked out. It is possible you could have a clogged/broken impeller. If you have the make & model of your pump, you should be able to find the manual for it online, and possibly even a youtube video to show you how to open the pump and check the impeller. Something as simple as a leaf clog in the impeller will cause the pump to run and not draw any water. If the impeller is broken, it's not that difficult to replace. Depending on the pump, most impellers will cost anywhere from 30-60 bucks.

Let me know what you find!

-CG
gelidus
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby gelidus » Wed 08 May, 2013 12:39

Hey CG

Yes I did check all the skimmer baskets and returns. Twice (first time opening this pool wanted to be sure)

If it was a clogged or broken impeller would it be sucking the water from the basket? Cause I can fill it or use a hose and it will keep sucking water out of the thing. I just have no idea where it is going.....

I can fill up the basket close it down and the water goes...then nothing I have let the pump run for two min and no water moves in the pool
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Wed 08 May, 2013 14:42

Gelidus,

OK, from what you describe it sounds like your pump is not priming. You'll need to check it for any air leaks. Most common sources of an air leak are at the pump lid, and at the plumbing fitting that goes into the front of the pump. Make sure the O-ring on the pump lid is still good, and has a decent coat of pool lube on it. You can use shaving cream (or something of similar consistency) to check for an air leak at the front of the pump. Put some shaving cream around where the pipe meets the pump. If it gets sucked in, you found an air leak. You'll need to replace that fitting.

Do you have a 3 way valve in front of your pump? These can also have several areas that can suck air. Some valves have a grease cup fitting on them that can break. Also check the lid of the valve and make sure that lid O-ring is good. Just make sure to put the lid back on exactly like you found it!

It may not be a bad idea to go ahead replace those o rings any way, they are fairly inexpensive.

If all that checks out, I would go back to taking a good look at that pump.

-CG
gelidus
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby gelidus » Thu 09 May, 2013 10:34

Ill go out and put soapy water at various pipes see if it sucks any of it in.

Would a pic of the filter and heater help at all

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”