Pumps

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
kojo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 28 rd. one end 6.5 ft. deep other end 3 ft.
above ground hayward power-flo 1hp.

Pumps

Postby kojo » Sat 01 Jun, 2013 23:10

I have a Hayward Power-Flo 1hp. when I plug it in all it does is hum. When unplugged I can turn shaft by hand
but when I plug it in and try to turn it by hand it won't turn at all , it just hums. I don't think it has a capacitor,
but I'll double check tomorrow. I'm new to the forum, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Pump is about
3 years old.

TSH Tech

Pumps

Postby TSH Tech » Sun 02 Jun, 2013 03:45

Yeah, Power Flo's have a capacitor. It's located in the back of the pump when you take off the protective cover cap that is the size of the entire motor, which cleverly disguises it. All pool pump motors have them.

For humming noises, typically it's the capacitor that goes bad. Inexpensive part.
-If the capacitor is replaced and it still hums, then it could be the switch
(plastic prong looking part with flat copper connectors and points) Another inexpensive part.
Double check the electrical connections for corrosion and broken connections.
- If the capacitor and switch are replaced and it still hums, then the pump has bad core windings. At that point, it is new motor time. There's no salvaging a motor at that stage, it is simply toast.
kojo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 28 rd. one end 6.5 ft. deep other end 3 ft.
above ground hayward power-flo 1hp.

Pumps

Postby kojo » Sun 02 Jun, 2013 23:07

Thanks TSH Tech, I'll check that tomorrow . Where's a good place to get a capacitor or do you think ordering
one online is my best bet. They aren't dangerous to mess with are they, as long as their unplugged. Again
thanks for all your help.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”