Possible filter issue with air

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
rbf351
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby rbf351 » Tue 02 Jul, 2013 13:49

the pool came with house, and no matter what i do i can not get the filter to be silent. it always sounds like there is air in there.

i have replaced all my seals/gaskets, and i'm not losing any water, so i don't have a leak on the skimmer or main drain line, or the returns.

My guess is that there was something else hooked to the return line, and there is air getting stuck in the pipe that is capped off on the right.

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Wed 03 Jul, 2013 07:40

Hi there,

A couple of questions:

1) Are there any air bubbles blowing back into the pool?

2) Do you see any air pooling up in the pump lid?

These are both signs of a air leak in the suction line. With the type of filter you have, it is not equipped with an air bleeder since the return line is the highest point of the filter. If there is air pooling up in the filter it would blow out into the pool. First thing I would look at is the seal on the pump lid. If you recently replaced that gasket, make sure it is lubricated and the lid is closed good and tight. You may also want to check that union in the front of the pump. If it is not closed tightly or the or ring is bad, it can also suck in air.

If all that checks out - You might have some debris spinning around in the filter that is causing the noise. Do you know the last time the sand was changed? The filter might be due for a good cleaning and some fresh sand. It looks like all your plumbing is unionized so this would be easy to do.

Hope this helps!

-CG
rbf351
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby rbf351 » Wed 03 Jul, 2013 07:51

the only time i get bubbles blowing back into the pool is when i turn the pump back on, and after i open the pump basket

there is no air in the pump lid

the union was also replaced since it was cracked 2 years ago

i changed the sand and laterals 2 years ago, which is another issue i am having. there is also a small amount of sand sitting at my steps where the hayward spa jets are located. That is the pipe coming directly off the pool, and bypassing the chlorinator. the jets are pictured below

CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Wed 03 Jul, 2013 14:58

Sounds like you have everything covered! If there's no air in the pump or blowing back into the pool, I doubt you have air pooling up in the filter. Without being there to hear it, my guess would be something is spinning around in that filter.

From the symptoms you describe, first thing I would do is check inside the filter and see if anything is in there making the noise.

-CG
rbf351
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby rbf351 » Thu 04 Jul, 2013 08:34

here is a video i just took of the filter running(sounds like a crackling noise in the video) if you put your ear to the top pipe there is no noise, but if you put your ear to the pipe coming out of the multiport valve you hear the noise inside the pipe.

just from that i'm guessing something is going on somewhere inside the multiport valve or the filter itself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35653728@N04/9208848218/?likes_hd=1
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Thu 04 Jul, 2013 09:11

Thanks for posting the video, that helps a lot! Wish I could figure out how to do that LOL!!

It definitely sounds like you might have something lodged in the multiport, or in the top pipe going into it. Here are the steps I would take:

1) With the system off, unscrew the top lid of the multiport and take a look inside. See if anything is stuck in there. Also check the inlet and outlet while you have the lid off, something could be lodged between the multiport and the elbow.

2) If you don't see anything there, next thing I would do is check the entire pipe for an obstruction. There could be something caught in the pipe that runs from the pump to the filter. If you cut the pipe between the elbow and the 45 you should have enough room to put a coupling back in there.

Hope this helps, have a great 4th!

-CG
rbf351
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby rbf351 » Thu 04 Jul, 2013 09:59

CGPoolman wrote:Thanks for posting the video, that helps a lot! Wish I could figure out how to do that LOL!!

It definitely sounds like you might have something lodged in the multiport, or in the top pipe going into it. Here are the steps I would take:

1) With the system off, unscrew the top lid of the multiport and take a look inside. See if anything is stuck in there. Also check the inlet and outlet while you have the lid off, something could be lodged between the multiport and the elbow.

2) If you don't see anything there, next thing I would do is check the entire pipe for an obstruction. There could be something caught in the pipe that runs from the pump to the filter. If you cut the pipe between the elbow and the 45 you should have enough room to put a coupling back in there.

Hope this helps, have a great 4th!

-CG

took the screws out of the multiport, nothing in there except a little bit of sand, both inlet and outlet are clear

was able to look into all the pipes, and none of them have anything in them

hope you have a great 4th
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Fri 05 Jul, 2013 08:32

Hmmmm, OK so maybe we need to dig a little deeper. Next thing I could think of is the center pipe inside the filter. If there is nothing lodged there I think I am out of ideas!

-CG
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 02:56

Hi

If you are getting sand in the pool and it's in the multiport valve change the spider gasket in the multiport valve while you are working on it
rbf351
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby rbf351 » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 08:10

CGPoolman wrote:Hmmmm, OK so maybe we need to dig a little deeper. Next thing I could think of is the center pipe inside the filter. If there is nothing lodged there I think I am out of ideas!

-CG

decided to remove all the pipes and look into there, nothing in there but a little bit of sand

Denniswiseman wrote:Hi

If you are getting sand in the pool and it's in the multiport valve change the spider gasket in the multiport valve while you are working on it

i had an extra gasket, so while i had it apart i changed it, the instant it started up the noise is still there

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”