Pool cleaner won't run

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Raey

Pool cleaner won't run

Postby Raey » Mon 21 Dec, 2015 04:06

Our pool cleaner stopped working. It was old, so we bought a new one. That one would run for about a minute and then stop. We thought it was this new type of pool cleaner and that it wasn't compatible. We then bought another new one, like the old one, but it gave the same problem. We replaced the motor with a stronger one and replaced the filter with a bigger one, still the same problem. We dug up the paving to see if there were any leaks, none found. We changed all the piping of the pool, except for the one pipe that pushes the water back into the pool. We are still sitting with the same problem. Once we disconnect the pool cleaner, the pump pushes strong, but the moment we connect it, it starts slowing down and eventually stops completely and the flow is very weak back into the pool. We have run out od ideas as to what it could be. We have been having this problem for about 3 years now. The last thing I can think of, we had a salt chlorinator installed. We are not sure if the problem was there before or after. So we thinking, can the installation of the chlorinator somehow have caused this? Is there a certain position in which the chlorinator needs to be installed? We are so tired of this problem and very close to just closing up the pool. I hope there's someone that can help us.

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Re: Pool cleaner won't run

Postby Larry » Wed 23 Dec, 2015 05:01

Hi Raey

You didn't mention which pool cleaner you had, or the size of the pump.

I'm guessing it's a suction type cleaner. Is there a pressure relief valve on the hose? If there is too much suction the cleaner may get stuck and the pump deprived of adequate flow.

The chlorinator is on the return line so should have no effect on the suction side.

Larry
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 28 Dec, 2015 07:41

Hi Raey

If your cleaner is a suction type your pump may be sucking in air when under load from the suction. This could be around the strainer "O" ring. Check this for air within when it stops. Silicon grease or Vaseline the "O" ring to seal it. Under normal pump load there isn't the same suction at the pump
Raey

Postby Raey » Fri 15 Jan, 2016 02:21

Thank you very much for the replies.
Yes, we have a suction type cleaner. I will try and adjust the relief valve and see if there are any improvements.
We are planning on trying to see if there are any air leaks using an incense stick, but we just waiting for the strong winds to die down.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 15 Jan, 2016 04:42

Hi Raey

To check if air is being sucked in, run the cleaner and when it stops look in to the pump strainer to see if the water level has gone down. If so lubricate the "O" ring with silicon grease or Vaseline
I don't think an incense stick would be any use as the amount of air being sucked in wouldn't pull the smoke to it, a better option would be to put soapy bubble water around the suspected air leak and wait for it to be sucked in.
some help

Postby some help » Sun 17 Jan, 2016 20:36

When the cleaner stops working does your pump start to cavitate? which means the pump pot is only half full of water & causes air bubbles to come out the return lines?
The pump lid O-ring could need lube, the intake & output pipes going into pump should have a high temp removable union that tightens down using a fat o-ring do you have this? Some people use pipe dope/tape which doesn't hold pressure well all the time and could cause problems. The output pipe would be leaking but the intake pipe doesn't always leak & can suck air. You state you replaced all pool plumbing correct suction & return lines?
What size pump did you install? Know you can over size the pump causing hydraulic problems
that can cause cavitation when plugging in a suction side cleaner and this is where you need to be able to adjust the pool cleaner regulator manually sometime almost wide open.
What type cleaner do you have?
Raey

Postby Raey » Wed 17 Feb, 2016 08:38

Hi All....Thank you for all the tips and info. We have tried everything mentioned in the replies but we still ended up with the same problem. We have eventually decided to get professional help and they will be coming out next week.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Thu 18 Feb, 2016 07:07

Thanks for the follow up Raey
mohammo
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in ground concrete. 9m X 7m. 900 W solar pool pump with 4 solar panels

Postby mohammo » Fri 15 Oct, 2021 09:46

Hi Raey. Did you manage to resolve the issue? I have the exact same problem, Please let me know

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”