new underground plumbing

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
lynnboy021
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16x42 walmart index pool

new underground plumbing

Postby lynnboy021 » Sun 24 Jan, 2016 12:33

I have a cheap 16x42 walmart pool that is 2 years old.... the pump that came with it sucked so bad my filter was always clogged so last year I bought a sand filter with pump, it's a big pump it will clean my pool like an hr... anyways I wanna change my backyard around and I don't wanna see pumps sand filter and pool heater next to the pool so my question is can I move my pool pump and heater around 15 20 ft away from pool with 1 1/2 pvc underground???

Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Re: new underground plumbing

Postby Larry » Mon 25 Jan, 2016 02:24

Hi lynnboy021

If your pump is really as big as you say then moving it away from the pool is no problem. We have built pump rooms situated over 50 feet from the pool, taking water line losses into account when selecting pipes and pumps.

The factors you need to take into account are pump capacity (or size), pipe diameter and pipe length. You have mentioned up to 20 feet of 1.5" pipe. What pump do you have?

Larry
lynnboy021
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby lynnboy021 » Mon 25 Jan, 2016 19:06

My pump has a pump flow rate of 2800 gph and a system flow rate of 2150 gps.... model number 28647EG.... again this is 10x better then the filter that came with the pool, my pool never turns green and it's always nice and blue no sand inside no dirt nothing just leafs floting around... so the pump came with 3ft of hose so I don't know if extending that 3ft hose to 20 ft will make a difference.....
Larry
Pool Forums Admin

Postby Larry » Tue 26 Jan, 2016 01:40

Siting the filter and pump 20 feet away is no problem.

At a flow rate of 2800 gph it would be better to use a 2" pipe on the suction side. The maximum recommended flow rate for a 1.5" suction line is 2250 gph. A larger diameter suction line puts less stress on the pump and allows it to work more efficiently. The pump will also last a lot longer. You might be able to get away with the smaller pipe but I wouldn't suggest it.

The return line is fine with a 1.5" pipe (3775 gph max).

Larry
lynnboy021
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby lynnboy021 » Thu 28 Jan, 2016 13:39

Larry I am way off its actually 45 ft away where I want to put the pump.... can the pump still handle that distance with the 2" in and 1.5 out????
Larry
Pool Forums Admin

Postby Larry » Thu 28 Jan, 2016 14:02

A 2" suction pipe can carry up to 3700gph and a 1.5" return pressure line can take 3775gph so the extra pipe, even 45ft, should not have any noticeable effect on the pressure or flow rate. Try to avoid too many elbows that would put extra strain on the pump and try to keep the pump as low to the ground as possible.

If the pump is below the pool's water level it will also prevent any problems with priming the pump and air in the system. Also consider adding valves near the pool as well as near the pump so you are able to isolate the pipe in the event of a problem (e.g. a gardening service that breaks the pipe while you are away on a trip).

Larry

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”