Aqualoon media

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
TheRealJRogers
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: ca early 1970's in-ground gunite/plaster (what's left of it) 18x36.
Venerable pool, cosmetically beat but sound (like me). Ancient hardware. (Remember those return's with the flower-petal pattern disks? Yeah, I could use a couple of those disks.)

Aqualoon media

Postby TheRealJRogers » Thu 14 Apr, 2016 20:39

Does anyone have any experience with Aqualoon sand filter media? As near as I can tell, these are polymer fiber balls that were, perhaps, originally marketed as water retaining media for flower pots, etc. So, is this another of those Zeo-good-ideas? (Boy, was that a bad good-idea.) My sand needs to be rejuvinated this spring and I'm thinking about using a combination of a sand bed with these on top. (So what's wrong with just sand? Nothing, of course. But who can stop futzing with their pool, anyway.)
TheRealJRogers

hydrofool
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 33kgal, 24" sand filter canister filled with 8lbs of Aqualoon

Re: Aqualoon media

Postby hydrofool » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 15:53

Aqualoon is working for me so far.. Last month my 25yr old sand filter ruptured. I almost went with a $3000 proposal from a pool company to install a fancy DE filter. I instead decided to take a chance with a DIY project using Aqualoon. I ordered a 24" Hayward canister, a hose kit, and six boxes of Aqualoon from Doheny all for less than $600. The total weight of the six boxes was less than 10lbs, replacing 300lbs of sand! I never would have considered DYI if I had to handle all that. Installation went smoothly, and I was up and running in less than half a day. The next day cloudiness had improved modestly. I applied some clarifier, and the next morning the pool was crystal clear. Surprisingly, the pump pressure has barely risen and remains steady (several days now), I have yet to do a backwash. This suggests that Aqualoon has much more capacity than sand, and I could have gone with a smaller filter canister. Anyway, time will tell, but Aqualoon looks like it could be a real game changer.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”