Can someone explain all these pipes?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Spiffy577
I'm new here
I'm new here

Can someone explain all these pipes?

Postby Spiffy577 » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 14:40

Hello,

Come aboard the noob train, here's another question about equipment. I bought this house, has a pool, never owned a pool, just discovered they gave us a manual vacuum. I know how to attach it but don't you have to increase the intake (or divert?) more water to the inlet to use it? I am looking at all the pipes and have NO idea what they all mean. Single line to pump, two out of the pump, one to the filter, one to a set of three pipes. Connected to the filter is another outgoing that splits again, one going to chlorine feeder, another that goes underground. After the chlorine feeder, there is another couple of splits with valves, one of which, I'm assuming, goes to the heater. Yep, I'm confused. Link to pictures at the end of this. I would like to use the vacuum but I don't want to blow up my pump or green my pool. Also,i would love to know what all of these do.

Thanks!
Josh

https://postimg.org/gallery/1lzqt16rg/

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Can someone explain all these pipes?

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 17:08

Hi Josh
The pipe on the side of the pump is the suction side from the pool. It could have main drain, skimmer and or vacuum, the three way valves can divert and or control the flow from the different suction side elements
Play around with these three way valves to see which one is the vacuum. I suspect it's the one nearest the pump
You have quiet a conglomeration of pipes. Where you not left a manual for the pipe work, it may be worth getting a professional to look at it for you. Other than that just alter the valves and see what works or stops. You can always set it back to basic with photographic evidence
Spiffy577
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Spiffy577 » Wed 19 Oct, 2016 23:05

Thank you very much for the reply. My biggest concern is doing damage to the pump. Is there anything I need to watch for, or listen to, while I'm messing with the valves?

Thanks again,
Josh
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 20 Oct, 2016 03:37

Hi Josh
I don't think you will do any damage to your pump unless you run it dry
Try simple steps
I would try your vacuuming point first as that is what you want to be able to use
Your main drain draws from the bottom picking up dirt and debris whereas your skimmer pulls from the surface sucking in any floating debris.
You won't green your pool by playing with these settings but the lack of chlorine and poor circulation will
How do you chlorinate?, if you are using pucks they contain CYA which when it builds up renders your chlorine ineffective
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm

Can you let us have your numbers so that we can put you in the right direction to keep your pool algae free
The advice on these forums is to get your own test kit as strips and pool store testing is generally inaccurate
FC:
TC:
pH:
TA:
CH:
CYA:

My pool:
Pool chemicals:
My pump & filter:
sammantrao
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 55000liter Pool

Postby sammantrao » Tue 24 Jan, 2017 01:58

i wanted to know if basic garden water timer can be used to dispense chlorine. I wanted to know if the plastic of will withstand liquid chlorine coming out of it and for how long.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”