Is there a low water level pump shut-off?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Daddofett
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18,000 gal, in-ground, Intelliflow pump, solar heat

Is there a low water level pump shut-off?

Postby Daddofett » Mon 02 Jan, 2017 15:49

My solar system recently sprung a leak - giant leak, as the 2" pipe blew off the rubber connector and started pumping water all over my roof. If we weren't home at the time, and immediately saw the cascading waterfall off the roof I think the pool could have easily pumped dry in short order.

All the leaks have been repaired, but I'm scared to death this will happen again when no one is home and I'll come home from work to find my empty in-ground pool floating on the 1-foot-deep Florida water table.

Is there such thing as a low water level pump shut-off? Once the water falls below the skimmer, will the pump cavitate and not drop the level any further? Any solutions or recommendations welcome!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Is there a low water level pump shut-off?

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 03 Jan, 2017 05:34

Daddofett wrote:Is there such thing as a low water level pump shut-off? Once the water falls below the skimmer, will the pump cavitate and not drop the level any further? Any solutions or recommendations welcome!

Yes there are flow switchs that will shut off your pump when the water flow stops but that is dependant on where you are drawing water from (a main drain would try to empty your pool)
If drawing from the skimmer that is as low as it will go
I would suspect that if you have both, once your skimmer is empty the air being sucked in it would cavitate within the pump. A flow switch on the skimmer line would save your pump

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”