Pressure seems to be high (28)

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
jclark0033
I'm new here
I'm new here

Pressure seems to be high (28)

Postby jclark0033 » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 09:36

Hello all,

We just bought a home with a pool about 8 months ago and so we are still definitely learning and trying to do most of it ourselves. I'm hoping someone here can give me some advice on why my pressure is high (or confirm if it is high). We had a new filter installed just as we moved in because the old one cracked literally in the first 10 days of ownership. The new one is a Hayward DE6020 and the pressure gauge does show 20-30 as the green to red area so maybe we are fine and I am just paranoid. As I recall when it was first installed though that it was sitting at 18-20 and from what I have read most pools should actually be between 10-15?

Things to know:
-We also switched from a Polaris 360 over to a Dolphin robot so we are no longer using the pressure side port, it still has plenty of pressure going into the pool from it and I've left it alone.
-The water is fine. I checked it two days ago and it was all in the good range and it never really hasn't been in good range, we stay very on top of it.
-I just had someone come out and clean the filter last month. It was sitting close to 28 before they came and I was hoping them cleaning it would fix the problem but it did not. They were also were not very helpful with this question so I won't be using them again.
-Pump is a 1 1/2 HP.
-In my ignorance over the last 6 months I never backwashed. I honestly didn't know how and didn't know I was supposed to every month or so. Last night I did it for the first time (I'm hoping I did it correctly) but there was no change in pressure. I change the MPV over to backwash and opened the backwash valve and turned on the pump. Water that appeared to be very cloudy (I'm assuming DE) came out for about a minute and then it became clear so I shut it off and switched it back to normal. No pressure change. I added 5 scopes of DE to the skimmer.
-I hear a very light clicking sort of noise that sounds like it is coming from one of the two pipes right by the pool heater. I'm thinking something small might be in there but I can't see that causing 8 pounds of pressure.

Below are 3 photos to give you an idea of our system and what I am working.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice you can provide.

Jasn
Attachments
IMG_4809.JPG
IMG_4809.JPG (93.65 KiB) Viewed 655 times
IMG_4798.JPG
IMG_4798.JPG (135.61 KiB) Viewed 655 times
IMG_4797.JPG
IMG_4797.JPG (138.75 KiB) Viewed 655 times

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pressure seems to be high (28)

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 10:33

Hi
The pressure does seem high but it could be the pump being to powerful. The filter is designed for up to 120gpm and the maximum working pressure is 50psi. Can you check the flow rate of the pump? to make sure it isn't exceeding 120gpm
Looking at the pressure gauge it seems that 20psi is the cleaned position an 30psi is time to backwash or clean
Do you have a manualhttps://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/ProGrid-DExx20.pdf
A quick word with Hayward should put your mind at ease
jclark0033
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jclark0033 » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 10:54

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for the response. Can you tell me how to check the flow rate of the pump? I'll check it tonight when I get home from the office, just not sure how you check that.

Jason
jclark0033
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jclark0033 » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 11:07

The pool pump motor is a Centurion - Serial 28614CH if that makes any difference. It says 1.5HP. The pool is about 10K gallons with a spa.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 14 Mar, 2017 12:06

Hi Jason
Unless it's on the pump you need to get a brochure with the pump specs on it or ask the manufacturers
My pool is 10k UK gallons and I changed my pump to a .37kw (.5HP) because my old 1hp pump was pushing to much through my sand filter and not filtering properly
Does the pressure gauge zero when the pump has stopped?
Can you restrict the flow out of the pump to see if that makes a difference
It seems that you are in the design area but excessive pressure can cause premature failure
Do you know what the old filter pressure was?
What are your returns like in the pool?
Try giving it a longer backwash just to make sure it's clean and check the pressure before adding the DE
It may be necessary to change the pump for a smaller variable speed one

Hope some of this helps

PS
What is the difference with out using the spa

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”