Pool Drains that don't do anything

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Rymax
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 13000 Gallons, with a spa waterfall feature.

Pool Drains that don't do anything

Postby Rymax » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 17:23

I have 2 pool drains at the deep end of my pool, that I can't figure out what they are there for. The reason why, is because my plumbing setup doesn't have any pipes coming from drains at the bottom of the pool. So, what is the point of the drains? My layout consists of a Spa Drain, plus a vacuum drain (inlet on side of pool for vacuum), plus a skimmer drain. There are no other pipes coming from the pool to the pump. So, what is the point of the Drains then? I took off the covers and there was some dirt down in them, but looking down inside them underwater was tough, couldn't really see what they are connected too. The Vacuum on the side of the pool has a cover, if I were to switch the valve to only pull from the vacuum and nothing else, and then flipped the cover on it, would the drains then begin to work? I am just theorizing, I am clueless.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide this new pool owner who is trying hard to understand his setup. Attached is a picture of my setup if that helps. It does have a heater.
IMG_0976small.jpg
IMG_0976small.jpg (34.34 KiB) Viewed 271 times

Pool Layoutsmall.jpg
Pool Layoutsmall.jpg (17.38 KiB) Viewed 269 times

Thanks.

Rymax
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 13000 Gallons, with a spa waterfall feature.

Re: Pool Drains that don't do anything

Postby Rymax » Tue 21 Mar, 2017 17:58

Ok, I found that my skimmer has 2 holes, and a little more research I discovered that the main drains were probably leading to one of the holes. However, one of the holes is completely blocked, Feels like its sand\concrete. Is this a problem? Should I take a chisel and bust it open and blow it out?

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”