How long do you run your pump?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
richardpooldone
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pooldone makes taking care of your swimming pool or hot tub simple. We provide weekly articles, videos, and online tools that will even help save you money!

How long do you run your pump?

Postby richardpooldone » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 03:46

I am trying to understand the right times of the day and durations to run my filter pump. I am using the BBB approach and like to add chlorine at night, when it is required. Obviously, I will need to run the pump thereafter. Anyone willing to share their experiences?

Thanks.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: How long do you run your pump?

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 31 Mar, 2017 15:46

If you are dosing at night then run your pump then (cheaper electricity) but what ever suits you and the pool
If you can get a complete turnover ov your water that should be fine
I run mine for 8 hrs but this is because I have a heat pump and when the weather gets hotter it shuts off and runs fo 20mins in the hour
richardpooldone
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pooldone makes taking care of your swimming pool or hot tub simple. We provide weekly articles, videos, and online tools that will even help save you money!

Postby richardpooldone » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 02:44

Denniswiseman wrote:If you are dosing at night then run your pump then (cheaper electricity) but what ever suits you and the pool
If you can get a complete turnover ov your water that should be fine
I run mine for 8 hrs but this is because I have a heat pump and when the weather gets hotter it shuts off and runs fo 20mins in the hour

Thank you so much. Got it. :thumbup:
Lordh
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Inground 11m x 4.5m Liner
Salt system with calor acl 17 heat pump.

Postby Lordh » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 07:39

Dennis. Do you run your heat pump at night or day? I am running mine for 7 hours at night for cheap electric however I wonder if is more efficient to run it during the warmer day time hours.
Your thoughts?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Wed 05 Apr, 2017 09:37

When it's cold I run the heat pump 24 hrs through the night to maintain temperature otherwise I tend to loose 1.5 degree C overnight
Running during the day is more efficient and will boost your pool temperature quicker
Depending on your location and night time temperatures will determine how long and when you run it
The fact that my pool is covered I use a thermal blanket to hold the heat in. Other uncovered pools would use a solar cover to get heat gain from the sun

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”