Best filter type for high organics?

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Movemaine
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: * 16x32, 24000 gallons
* Vinyl
* Hayward C9002 Filter, 1hp pump

Best filter type for high organics?

Postby Movemaine » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 10:35

I currently have a high capacity cartridge filter setup for an in-ground pool. Due to high organics (15 pine trees along the border of my property that are directly over the pool), I've found the cartridge filter filters really well but has to be cleaned every 2-4 days. Additionally, cartridges don't clean well. You can use a cleaner to clean them, but that requires 24 hours soaking during which time you aren't filtering. All in all, I find I have to order new cartridges every 1-2 months during the season, which gets expensive. I'm now thinking of switching to a sand filter, to reduce my overall maintenance and ongoing costs.

Overall, what's the best pool filter type for my situation that will help reduce costs and maintenance?

Details:

• Maine (short swim season)
  • 1hp pump
  • 16'x32' pool estimated 24,000 gallons
  • Hayward c9002 filter - est. 43,000 gallon turnover/8hrs

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Best filter type for high organics?

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 14 Jul, 2017 03:33

Have you tried a sock in the skimmer basket to prevent the pine needles getting through
Movemaine
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: * 16x32, 24000 gallons
* Vinyl
* Hayward C9002 Filter, 1hp pump

Postby Movemaine » Fri 14 Jul, 2017 11:18

Denniswiseman wrote:Have you tried a sock in the skimmer basket to prevent the pine needles getting through

I have, it's more of the dust, dirt, pollen, etc. that comes off the trees - the fine particles - that are clogging my system quickly.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 15 Jul, 2017 03:35

If you have high organics then all filters will clog quickly. They are doing their job
The least troublesome would be a sand filter with a couple of cups of DE to filter better and then backwash when the pressure gets to 20-25% greator than the clean pressure
Some DE filters have a backwash mode or bump which will backwash but you then have to replenish the DE each time
Most people like their cartridge and DE filters but every pool is different and yours seems high maintenance
If you go for a sand filter or other get a larger one than you need as that will help to go longer between cleaning. So if your pumpflow in GPH is less than the recommended flow through the filter you are OK

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”