new house with a Pool. Think the Eletric is done wrong.

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
chiefgordoncole
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20x16 inground pool. Hayward Perflex EC65A. Hayward Superpump 1.5hp. no clue what I am doing

new house with a Pool. Think the Eletric is done wrong.

Postby chiefgordoncole » Sat 15 Jul, 2017 12:47

Hi All,
My wife and I recently purchased a house with a pool that required quite a bit of work. New liner-etc.etc. However I wanted to put a timer on the pump and this is where the fun started.

The pump is a Hayward 1.5 hp superpump connected to a hard-switch box. The box has a standard 15/20 125 plug that goes to a GCFI outlet on the side of the garage. I checked the sub-panel and it is a 15a circut. The manual stated that for a 1.5hp pump I need 115/30 or 230/15 for this. I do have enough room in the box to add in a 250/15 double if need be. I was just wondering what would be the best way to set this up.

Should I got 120/30 or 250/15? also should i put a L5-30 or L6-15 outlet where the GCFI box is or just hardwire the pump? I do want a timer in the mix.

I made a few sketches to kind of show what I am thinking and what I have.
First this is the current setup

How I was considering going with a 30a outlet

Same with the 15a

or if I was gonna just hardwire to the timer. I do live in Indiana close to lake Michigan so we can get some nasty winters and would like to store some of the equipment in the garage if that is needed. (again a major noob to pools here)

Or am I going the completely wrong direction here with all of this?
thanks in advance!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: new house with a Pool. Think the Eletric is done wrong.

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 16 Jul, 2017 04:52

Try posting on www.troublefreepool.com I'm sure you would get more response there
Or contact an electrician

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”