Air in pump

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
jcaj558
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20000 gallon vinyl, pentair de filter, pentair variable speed pump, in-line frog chlorinator filled with 3 inch pucks

Air in pump

Postby jcaj558 » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 06:29

The water catch basket in my pump keeps getting air in it. To the point where it looks like boiling water. It usually takes about a day before it gets to the point of being what the installer calls 3/4 primed. The installer has been out multiple times for the issue. They replaced o-rings and even the entire pump. The last time they came out they said i needed to run my pump at a higher rpm so they changed it from 2200 to 2550. Still same problem. They said if it happens again to switch the value to recirculate. I did that and no more air bubbles. What does this mean? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Air in pump

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 05 Oct, 2017 15:12

You have a suction side air leak from your skimmer and main drain to your pump
Did they lubricate the pump basket O ring with silicone grease
Pumping faster will only draw more air in,try running at a lower speed as this will have less suction
Running on recirculate is not an option as you wont be filtering your water
I take it that you are also getting air bubbles in your pool returns
What is your water level at your skimmer weir. It should be 1/2 to 2/3 up the opening
You could also turn off the flow from the skimmer first to see if it stops and then do the same with the main drain
jcaj558
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20000 gallon vinyl, pentair de filter, pentair variable speed pump, in-line frog chlorinator filled with 3 inch pucks

Postby jcaj558 » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 06:01

Yes everything was lubricated and water level was fine. Now my question is why would the pump tank get air in it under normal running circumstances but not when it was in recirculate? If there is a suction side leak, wouldn't it leak in both scenarios?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 06:23

I would suspect that being less resistance through the system would help and if any air collected in the pump basket it would come out immediately through the returns
Have you tried running on the lowest speed through the filter? and see if that makes a difference
What are your pressures? clean and dirty
If you are getting air in the pump basket it's definately a suction side air leak
jcaj558
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jcaj558 » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 06:31

Clean pressure is 13. I don't think the dirty pressure has every fine over 18. I run it at 2400 rpm. I used to run it at 1800 and it would do the same thing.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 07:06

Generally you need to backwash or clean when your dirty pressure is 20 to 25% above clean pressure
You say the installer has been out multiple time to rectify this. How long has this pool been installed and has it been like it since installation. If so it's their responsibility.
They could try running a flexible pipe that won't flatten from the pool to the pump and see if the problem persists
jcaj558
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby jcaj558 » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 08:43

Update: I think the problem may be solved. Last night I took apart my filter and cleaned it. PB said that because the pump basket didn't have any air when I put it in recirculate, the problem had to be either a really dirty filter or some sort of obstruction. It wasn't very dirty and had no obstructions. I still don't understand how the filter would cause air in the pump as that filter is on the pressure side. My understanding is that if air gets in the pump it has to come from the suction side. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. So I decided to lube the pup cap o-ring along with the o-ring on the check valve. Also I took apart the 2 jandy valves to check for any problems. I lubed those and put them back together. I checked this morning and there was only 2 half dollar size bubbles in there. Thought??

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 06 Oct, 2017 09:11

You have cracked it
Your PB is talking rubbish a dirty filter would slow the flow down and reduce the suction
Yes the filter is on the pressure side and can't suck air in
2 half dollar size bubbles in there is acceptable and may even disappear when your pump is on a higher speed
The problem is we think the PB is an expert and rely on there information which isn't always corrrect
It may be an idea to educate him with your remedy as he is just as likely to have a similar problem in the future

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”