In need of New pump

Pool pumps, pool filters and the plumbing of
swimming pools. Sand filters, cartridge filters,
fabric filters and alternative filter media.
Winter Dennis
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15' 48" summer waves above ground pool. Sand pro 35d sand filter system.

In need of New pump

Postby Winter Dennis » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 16:40

Hi I have a 15 by 48 above ground pool the pump that came with it is surely a waste of time.I upgrade to a sand pro 35d system and that's a waste of time too.so now I'm thinking maybe if I can buy a pump with a greater hp and hook that up with the same size sand filter that came with the sand pro 35d will there be any problems. Please help me. Thanks

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: In need of New pump

Postby Teapot » Mon 12 Mar, 2018 17:49

Hi, That's quite a large pool 21,500 US gallons? if so that puny little filter and pump unit is way under spec. You need at least a 24" filter or a 30". The pump could also use an upgrade to either a two speed 1hp or a variable speed if the budget allows.

The 35D setup is rated for a pool of 8,000 gallons.
Winter Dennis
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15' 48" summer waves above ground pool. Sand pro 35d sand filter system.

Postby Winter Dennis » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 09:54

Hi thanks for your assistance but I think you misunderstood my pool size it's a 15' round 48" tall above ground pool. Thanks
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 13 Mar, 2018 13:06

Winter Dennis wrote:Hi thanks for your assistance but I think you misunderstood my pool size it's a 15' round 48" tall above ground pool. Thanks

Well yes, we could pass the blame on to me but I think the addition of the word "round" and some " marks have definitely clarified the point :lol:

So your pool is about 5,287 US gallons and the filter is sized for up to 8,000 gallons. They always over estimate what a filter can handle by around 100% so your filter is OK. The pump though is too powerful on filtration, you are trying to filter on backwash rates so you get a bad result. Slower filtration is better filtration. If you can get a pool controller to control the speed of your pump like the Clever-Pool pump inverter you could reduce the speed by 2/3rds from the 2200 gallons per hour to around 880 gallons per hour you'll save electricity and filter the water better. I would advise you filter for a bit longer maybe 12 hours but that will still save back the cost of the inverter speed controller.
Winter Dennis
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Winter Dennis » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 06:57

Hi again. Actually I think my pump is a 1/3 hp with a flow rate around 660gph which doesn't circulate the water period so lessening the power won't do any better. And I run my pump 14hrs a day. Thanks
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Thu 15 Mar, 2018 07:47

Hi, yes I checked the 35D spec online and they state 37 GPM which is 2200 gph or there about. There will be losses through the filter but that should still be moving the water (too fast). If this is, and it sounds like your pump isn't doing this "doesn't circulate the water period" then either the pump is faulty or the impeller is blocked with debris. Switch off for safety and try to feel into the impeller chamber if there is debris in there.

Return to “Pool Pumps, Filters, Plumbing & Piping”